Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time exposures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Motdarnoc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:39 pm    Post subject: Time exposures Reply with quote

I’m thinking of buying a Speed Graphic to experiment with pinhole photography. It seems ideal for that- like a zoom lens pinhole. But, before I pull the trigger I have a (probably) dumb question: can you shoot time exposures of a minute or longer with the focal plane shutter? I can’t tell for certain from the literature or photos.
Thanks!
Tom
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a cable release. It will let you shoot time exposures as long as you want. With any Speed Graphic, set the focal plane shutter's curtain aperture to "T," release the shutter and it will stay open until you release it again.
Motdarnoc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Any idea where I might find a cable release?
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your local camera store, or: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/threaded-cable-releases/ci/27981/N/3777857687
Motdarnoc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I never thought it would be a standard connection.🤪
William Hallett

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a standard threaded hole, located at the front of the body release - the cable simply pushes against the body release plunger. But the body release mechanism usually has a lot of slack in it, and you may find that you need a cable release with a longer travel than normal. I have several cable releases, and only one has enough travel to do the job. The issue is that the body release needs more force to activate it than a typical leaf shutter, so that stretching of the cable sheath will reduce the effective travel of the release. You will need to try out prospective cable releases with the camera.

I am referring to the Pacemaker Speed here, but the Anniversary has the same issues.
Motdarnoc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
I just purchased a mid 1960's Speed Graphic, I should have it by mid next week. So, the cable release challenge will start then! I’ll probably buy it from the b&h link above. Maybe just buy the longest travel one? I’m assuming it can’t be too long…
Thanks again for the info.
Tom
Motdarnoc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm, I just went on the b & h site and no mention of travel length.
William, any idea what the brand name is of the cable release that you have that works?
William Hallett

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, no, there doesn't seem to be a maker's name on it. It is fairly short (about a foot) and the cable sheath is a fairly stout looking stainless steel spring with a clear plastic sheath over it. My experience was that other cable releases would give a similar length of travel when there was no load on them, but their sheaths would stretch when subjected to the rather substantial force needed to press the body release. So you are looking for something that appears to be fairly heavy duty.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: