Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Governor switch funky...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beardedspoooon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Governor switch funky... Reply with quote

Unless I'm doing something wrong of course.

The top shutter speeds (1/60, 1/250, and 1/1000) work fine. The low speeds, when I flip the governor lever, the shutter button doesn't really fire anything. I hit the shutter and I can hear something release, but the shutter doesn't really fire and I have to manually turn the shutter winding key to cycle the shutter. And if I flip the governor to the top speeds, it will release tension and fire the shutter. With the governor in low, I also can't turn the shutter winding key. If that makes sense.

Any ideas on if this might be a semi-mechanically inclined DIY fix or something that a pro should work on?

I searched through the forums and found a post with how to clean and lubricate, perhaps going through that process might reveal what's wrong.

Test pic from this morning, ignore the dust.

45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download this factory service manual and read through the repair procedure for the FPS.
https://graflex.org/manuals/45-Pacemaker-Speed-and-Crown-Graphic.pdf
beardedspoooon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS wrote:
Download this factory service manual and read through the repair procedure for the FPS.
https://graflex.org/manuals/45-Pacemaker-Speed-and-Crown-Graphic.pdf

Thanks for the link! Powered through a few "holy crap I shouldn't have started this" moments and achieved victory. I think it'd still benefit from an overall CLA.

The governor mechanism needed some cleaning up and lubrication.
jerryg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you need a good cla, and have your camera timed and speed tested, contact me here https://www.facebook.com/groups/2688289148074171
i rebuild these cameras and all mine are accurate high and low speeds.
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

With the tensionoing spring(s) weakened from years of use, the roller shafts .002 inch out of round, and the bushings worn egg shaped how do you get the speeds accurate? Machine the roller shafts and bushings? Make new springs?
jerryg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the nice thing about the pacemakers, unlike other graflex cameras, the dual spring set up , as long as it was stored correctly) holds up to the test of time. it is a great set up. ive thought of trying to make a test spring set up similar to the pacemakers but for the rb cameras that rarely hit any where near 1/1000
i consider my self VERY lucky to have two super D's ( 3x4 & 4x5 ) that do hit nearly every speed from 1/30 - 1/1000 , the exception is the 4x5 where a couple of the mid speeds are slightly faster

45PSS wrote:
Quote:

With the tensionoing spring(s) weakened from years of use, the roller shafts .002 inch out of round, and the bushings worn egg shaped how do you get the speeds accurate? Machine the roller shafts and bushings? Make new springs?

that would be a very bad scenario, ive not encountered one that bad. that ive tested any way. if it's a trashed camera i use what parts ARE good on them.
i do have nos curtains with springs and rollers though not 4 sale ....
every one of my pacemaker speeds ive built are dead on accurate.
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've been fortunate. I've had some that would not get above 1/250 at 1/8 aperture on tension 6.
Heat treating weak springs according to the instructions in http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/springs/springs.html will improve them 25%.
I have considered trying to make a new spring for Graflex SLR and pre Pacemaker Speeds.

Unless parts are missing the camera can be repaired to operating condition allowing one to make a picture with it even if it does not meet table speeds.
jerryg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did the heat treat on a pretty bad condition speed, it did not seem to change it much, i was careful to log the turns for the tension rod as well. this particular spring had been left on 6 for decades.
i do buy cameras that have been ruined to to deterioration, metal parts AND springs are generally still in good condition.......60% of the time

ive got a couple spring manufacturers save in a file to contact when i have more time. they can do custom springs, but they want to know every little specific of the spring.

my fortune has only been on the pacemakers, the general speeds and rb's , now thats a much different story
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: