Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graflok back for 2x3 pacemaker speed graphic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkingloff@mindspring.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject: Graflok back for 2x3 pacemaker speed graphic Reply with quote

Thanks for inclusion in this group! I purchased yesterday a 2x3 Speed Graphic which by the serial # is a pacemaker. It has the plain back and I'd like to give it to a grandson with a 2x3 rollfilm back. Where might I find the parts to convert it to a Graflok? Thanks!
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you can buy another 2x3 Graphic with a Graflok back, swap backs between it and the camera you already have and resell the second one. That's how I got a Graflok for my 2x3 Pacemaker Speed.

Alternatively, you can watch eBay until a 2x3 Graflok back is offered.

Alternatively, you can sell your camera and buy one with a Graflok.

Be aware that 2x3 Grafloks for 2x3 Pacemaker Graphics also fit the Miniature Speed Graphic. I got my little Speed's Graflok from a Mini. There were also retrofit Grafloks for the Mini, with the flash terminal in the upper left corner. These will fit 2x3 Pacemakers too.

Also be aware that although Century Graphics have Graflok backs these are integral with the body and can't be removed.
dkingloff@mindspring.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was bought at a moving sale on a whim because I talked the sale folks down to $60, and it's in nice shape. My younger daughter has a degree in photography and, while in high school, used my 4x5 Crown with a Polaroid adapter for some projects. Of course, Polaroid pack film is no longer available but I wanted the same experience, with roll film of course, for my 10 y/o grandson, her son, to play with a REAL camera! I'll keep looking for that elusive 2x3 Graflok!
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, if you want your grandson to use roll film in a 2x3 camera with a spring back, get an Adapt-A-Roll 620.

These are insertion type roll holders, were made in sizes to fit 2x3, 3x4 and 4x5 cameras. They will feed film on a 120 spool but must take up on a 620 spool. If loaded carefully, an AAR 620 will give nine exposures on a roll of film, not the usual eight.

I wrote the account of AAR 620s in the Speed Graphic FAQ, have used them for years.
dkingloff@mindspring.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'd need to do a darkroom setup again; if I sent the film out to get developed I'd probably lose the 620 spool but I'll look into it. Thanks!
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graflex made a Roll Film Holder attaching kit for Graphic backs but they are few and far between.
Carefully calibrate the rangefinder to the lens on the camera using the ground glass on the camera back.
Remove the focus panel.
Cut a edge on a flat washer so that it just fits over the lip of the RFH without interfering with the insert being removed or installed. Cut a flat edge then bend the edge 90° if needed to fit firmly against the lip of the RFH.
Place the RFH on the camera and attach with the washers and the screws that held the focus panel and springs in place.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkingloff@mindspring.com wrote:
I guess I'd need to do a darkroom setup again; if I sent the film out to get developed I'd probably lose the 620 spool but I'll look into it. Thanks!

Well, I rewind the film back on the feed spool after I take it out of the roll holder. I do the whole process inside a changing bag. That's what changing bags are for.
dkingloff@mindspring.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea but may be a bit much for a 10 y/o to do when I'm not geographically near
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: