Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

90mm Wollensak 4.5 for Primary Photography

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Velostiraptar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: 90mm Wollensak 4.5 for Primary Photography Reply with quote

Hello Graflex Forum. I have a baby Crown on the way..

The lens is a Wollensak Raptar 90mm 4.5. I can’t find it in any of the Wollensak ads floating around; that focal length and max. aperture is only mentioned in lists of enlarging lenses. However it does appear, I believe as a Series II Raptar 3.5”, in a Wollensak product catalogue reproduced on a site called Alphax Betax, presumably as a photography lens. The one in question is in what appears to be an OEM shutter. Whatever purpose the lens was originally manufactured and sold for, my understanding is that it’s essentially the same Tessar formula as the 101mm 4.5 Raptar. This copy appears to be single-coated.

The intended purpose is boilerplate landscape and architecture. Nothing crazy; I hope the hope the “modest” shift and tilt available with the Crown will suffice. I don’t know much about the coverage of the Raptar, but have budgeted for a Fujinon or Nikkor in the 100mm range in addition if needed.

There’s not a whole lot I can find as far as sample images made with this lens.

Will it likely be good for use with color negative film?

Will the likely optimal aperture be in the f/11-f/22 range?

Any other general comments about this lens? I understand it’s not commonly found on cameras as a 90mm. The 101 is.

Most importantly, how do I find filters for this lens? They’re press-on? Series something? mm diameter? Any key words I could use in my hunt?

These are questions I will be able to answer for myself of course once I’ve used it, but any additional information I can get going into this is appreciated.
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Most importantly, how do I find filters for this lens? They’re press-on? Series something? mm diameter? Any key words I could use in my hunt?

Measure the diameter of the front barrel then use the table to find the correct Series size. https://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=1727
https://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=264

Wollensak never published image circle of their lens. it is likely coated as the Raptar line started at the end of WWII or just after.

Raptar was relabled Optar for Graflex, Rapax shutters were relabled Graphex.

The Graphex shutter repair manual lists a 90mm f6.8 in the No1 shutter. The 90mm f4.5 is likely an enlarging lens. Graphex/Rapax shutter sizes do not correspond to Compur/Copal sizes.
Velostiraptar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I suppose that even if it is a repurposed enlarging lens that since the formula is basically the same as the 101mm photography Raptar that there won’t be any big difference in performance at infinity.

That’s my hope, at least.

Also hoping it will take series vi push-on filters. Those seem to be plentiful.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens in question was sold as a taking lens for 2x3. See https://alphaxbetax.com/wollensak-lens-and-shutter-compendium/

Many years ago Richard Knoppow posted on the usenet that used to be that tessar type Raptars were less well corrected for off-axis aberrations than the equivalent Ektars and had to be stopped farther down to get the same image quality off-axis. I'd use the lens in question at f/16 and smaller apertures.

Years ago when I was seriously testing (USAF 1951 target, TMX, camera on tripod) lenses, I got this result: 103/4..5 Triotar better than 101/4.5 Ektar better than 105/3.7 Ektar. Better means better off-axis resolution. The 105/3.7 doesn't really cover 2x3. I didn't try a 101/4.5 Raptar/Optar. I mentioned this here, no one disagreed, a few other members chimed in that this agreed with the way the lenses had performed for them.
Velostiraptar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan, I found your summary of those test results through a forum search before I posted this thread. My only experience with a triplet lens is the old Soviet Lubitel TLR and the results from it were not impressive, but neither was the level of precision in the lens assembly and I have no doubt that a a triplet with good QC (eg the CZ Triotar In cheaper Rollei 35s) could outshine more complex designs, especially with older lenses.

I am looking for across-the-frame consistency more than central sharpness. It sounds like the Raptar may be a mixed bag in this regard, but if performance at f/16 is suitable (and I won’t always have to stop down to 22 or 32) then it’ll do.

Does anyone shoot color negative or slides with these lenses? Low contrast and saturation are fine, but from what few definite examples are out there on the web it appears that the coated Raptars trend towards the cooler or greenish side, hence my interest in filters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: