Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A new owner of an old camera

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Voxford

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: A new owner of an old camera Reply with quote

Hi. I'm a new member with an old Crown Graphic, though apparently not that old. The serial number dates it to the early 1970s, so newer than my Mamiya C3. The Graflex was in a box of camera stuff from the father of a friend of my father's.

I've slowly been familiarizing myself with the Graflex and think I've figured out some of the things that were stymying me. The shutter release on the body wasn't working. Then I saw that both of the lenses that came with the camera had a cable-release socket that blocked the horizontal plunger. I guess I will need to use a cable release, which is fine.

And I wasn't sure how to focus. Then I figured out you have to open the shutter and use the ground glass. There is a rangefinder on top, though I'm not sure how reliable it is. I made the mistake of taking it off to remove corroded batteries. I don't know if the wiring works anymore. I put it back on but in any event the door to the battery compartment doesn't fit very well and keeps falling off so the converging red lines may not be possible.

Should the focusing scale on the left rail be accurate? Or does that depend on which lens I'm using? Two lenses came with the camera: a Schneider-Kreuznach Symmar 135mm f5.6, and a Rodenstock Ysarex 135mm f4.5. I will say that when I align the images in the rangefinder and check the distance to subject with a measuring tape, it's pretty close. If I set things at f16 will I have a pretty sharp depth of field from near to far?

Are those lenses good for general-purpose use? Is one preferable to the other? The slowest speeds sound off on both of the shutters..

The camera came with an RH12 roll film adaptor. As I've never shot sheet film, I'm going to start with that. I made a little cardboard template to put over the ground glass to frame the image. I plan to shoot a roll of Tri-X 120 to familiarize myself with the process. I bought some sheet film for when I'm braver.

The camera did not come with a flash, which I hope to add. I'd love to explore my inner Weegee.

I'm excited to give the camera a try. Thanks!
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download the factory service manual and other useful manuals at
http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/graphicmanuals.html

Cams are cut for specific lens. Lens are not their marked focal length, they can be less than .1mm to a few millimeters either side of the marked focal length. There are 5 different cams for 135mm lens.

Focus scales are matched to lens focal length also.

The battery door will not stay in place without batteries installed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: