Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Backpacks, etc how do you carry your Graflex on hikes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ktm_2000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Backpacks, etc how do you carry your Graflex on hikes? Reply with quote

Hi All,

I've acquired a century 2x3, a crown 4x5 and a speed 4x5 graflex cameras and been having a fun time shooting them. I typically only take one with me at a time but am finding it a pain to carry when I go on hikes.

My 2x3 has a shutter problem which is getting fixed and wasn't too bad to put in a regular backpack as I only had one lens and typically shot it as a rangefinder rather than using the ground glass.

The 4x5 I tend to shoot focusing via ground glass as I have a couple of lenses and neither body has the rangefinder set correctly for any of the lenses I have. I find myself taking 65mm, 120 and 150mm lenses so that with a rollfilm back ends up being a fair amount of items to carry and doesn't fit in a standard backpack never mind not being well protected in there.

I went to hunts photo this last weekend and showed them my 4x5 and asked for a case and the guy looked at me like I had 5 heads. He said he hadn't seen someone ask for something like that in the 5+ years he had worked there.

So my ask, how do you carry your camera in the field?
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google "tamrac 757" and get yourself one. No longer manufactured, but available, as from https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Tamrac-757-Photo-Backpack-Shoulder-Bag-Black-Made-in-USA-/263895812757.

I bought one of these years ago and it holds my Century Graphic, several lenses, filters, flash, assorted items like shutter release cable, light meter, dark cloth, etc. I usually use it by the carry handle rather than as a backpack, but it's designed to be either one. A pity Tamrac no longer makes it....

Last edited by Henry on Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:57 am; edited 1 time in total
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry, links to products on ebay no longer work on computers other than the one they were originally made on.
Go to ebay.com then search for tamrac 757 or look through all the camera bags and cases checking their dimensions against what your equipment measures.
I carry mine in my hand, spot meter on my belt and monopod or tripod in the other hand.
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should work if you go to ebay.com on your browser and copy the item number (in this case, 263895812757) into the search window there. Of course, a search for the particular item, by name, will also work, as you suggest. I started by googling "tamrac 757" and got all sorts of hits.

(Darn correction feature keeps respelling "tamrac" as "tarmac"!)
ktm_2000

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info!

To me photography is another reason to be outside in nature. We have a set of twin 3 y.o girls and they will do ok on a walk with LOTS of stops picking up everything they can find. The most they seem to be able to do now is about 1 mile, then it is typically put one on my shoulders and walk back while my wife has the other. I'm hoping the range of the walks increases this year as their stamina increases, but also expect them to get heavier so a good backpack will be critical to handle photo gear.
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a 78 y.o. granddad with two sons, two grandsons, and four lovely granddaughters, I applaud you for bringing your kids to the outdoors and giving them time to exercise their curiosity. They're at that "I want to pick up everything I see and really study it" stage, which is one of the most charming times of childhood. (And while they are so occupied, that's when you set up the tripod, frame the shot, and get the pix for the family album! What a fortunate concatenation of circumstances!) In future, you will all have the photos to remind you of those wonderful years, which pass by all too soon. Some distant day they will be carrying you instead of vice versa!
ktm_2000

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is a fun time, just tough to get any real exercise with all the stops. Last weekend we explored a beach that you can't get on during the summer unless you are a local and both of them had their coat pockets full of shells and different colored rocks. After emptying out their pockets, it filled 1/3 of a brown paper grocery bag.

I don't normally post pics of my kids online but since they are looking the other way in this pic I don't see any harm.

a shot at the beach from this summer with the 2x3 graflex handheld using the rangefinder for focus. It isn't the greatest scan, done with a cellphone, and the negative wasn't held flat. I like the results!!!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/A8WhLR9xT3H2GJNy7
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's delightful---thanks for sharing! The 2x3 is ideal for hand-held work, especially when equipped with a well-adjusted Kalart.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was young we were with my dad on the creek catching crawdads to go fishing with. Dad was in the creek and us children were on the bank turning over rocks and the like. One day we picked up a small paper bag from the edge of the water and 6 young water moccasins about 6 inches long came out and some started chasing us. Water moccasins are also called Cotton Mouth and are very poisonous. (we knew to run)

Youngsters will pick up almost anything!
AnselMortensen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was younger, I used to carry an Anny SG and a B&J Press in an original Domke bag slung over a shoulder diagonally. Another bag with film holders, meter and dark cloth slung over the other shoulder diagonally...It worked OK for short walks, but probably not optimum for serious hiking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: