Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What back for my Super D?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rosshj

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: What back for my Super D? Reply with quote

Hello! I just picked up a R.B. Super D today. I don’t know anything about it, but it looks to be in mint condition. It has no back on it though. I measured the opening and it slightly smaller than 4X5. I’m guessing this is the 4X5 model. What I’m wondering is, what back do I need in order to use it? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your late model Series/Super D has a Graflex back. It uses Graflex film holders. Graflex film holders are slightly wider than standard 2 sided film holders, have a long grove down each side and a grove that fits over the lip of the back frame for a light trap. That lip is currently at the top of the camera as the back is in portrait position with the darkslide end up. The chrome button on the side of the body just behind the tension plate is the revolving back lock, when pressed in the back frame can be rotated to any of 4 positions.

I checked ebay and there are no holders for 4x5 Graflex backs currently listed. There are some for 2x3 and 3x4 plates and a Bag Magazine for repair but unsure of the format.
rosshj

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the detailed response! I will keep an eye out on eBay of one of those backs. Cheers!

45PSS wrote:
Your late model Series/Super D has a Graflex back. It uses Graflex film holders. Graflex film holders are slightly wider than standard 2 sided film holders, have a long grove down each side and a grove that fits over the lip of the back frame for a light trap. That lip is currently at the top of the camera as the back is in portrait position with the darkslide end up. The chrome button on the side of the body just behind the tension plate is the revolving back lock, when pressed in the back frame can be rotated to any of 4 positions.

I checked ebay and there are no holders for 4x5 Graflex backs currently listed. There are some for 2x3 and 3x4 plates and a Bag Magazine for repair but unsure of the format.
rosshj

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would something like this work in conjunction with a film holder or pack film holder?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F202629392200
jerryg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that will not work with your camera with out serious mods...so no.
you need slotted film holders
rosshj

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Realize that now. Got some other good advice on the FB group and managed to find the right model pack film holder (1134) and film holder. Looks like I needed to find one with a slot down the side and a notch in it. They are a little bigger than the ones for Speed and Crow Graphics. They are also listed as "Graflex" and not "Graphic".

Thanks for helping me out guys

jerryg wrote:
that will not work with your camera with out serious mods...so no.
you need slotted film holders
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pack film was discontinued in 1971 so film pack adapters are of little value.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: