Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shutter speed ring on Combat 45 camera

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SEASpeedShooter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Shutter speed ring on Combat 45 camera Reply with quote

I was lucky enough to be given a US Navy Combat 45 camera in great shape. Everything appears to work by I can not change the shutter speed dial. The camera shutter will release when triggered but the ring will not move to rotate. I see a button at the top of the lens but I am not sure what the button's function is. Is there a special release that locks the shutter speed ring or is the shutter locked from lack of use? Thank you.
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it similar to this one?
https://www.cameraquest.com/graphcombat.htm
SEASpeedShooter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is! The shutter speed dial appears to be frozen and it needs a CLA. Might you know off someone who can work on it?
Thank you
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not currently available and do not know of anyone currently repairing these cameras.
If you're mechanically inclined then go to https://www.butkus.org/chinon/repair_manuals/kodak_repair_books.htm and request a copy of Kodak Flash Supermatic Shutters repair manual.

I can see no reason the speed dial would be stuck unless there is a lever/modification that turns it on the outside of the hood. Put a hair dryer on it until the speed ring is warm then try to turn it. If dried grease is causing the jam then this should soften/loosen it up.

A Supermatic is the same as a Flash Supermatic without the flash sync and a Supermatic X is a simpler flash sync than a Flash Supermatic.
All version can be serviced with the suggested manual.
SEASpeedShooter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I tried the hair dryer without success. I almost believe there is a safety switch somewhere. I ordered a copy of the operations manual and hopefully that will work. The lens appears to be a Kodak Ektar 127mm f/4.7 Lens in a Graphic Kodak No.2 Supermatic Shutter. These are available and with the exception of the dial being black it appears to be a swap out.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Black Dial Supermatic was WWII era so that reflections off the bright surfaces would not give the photographer away to the enemy.
All Supermatics were made by Kodak.
You can date the lens at https://graflex.org/speed-graphic/lenses.html#EktarLenses
Last quarter lens were often used on first quarter of the next year cameras. The lens should be factory original.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Military Cameras All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: