Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Film Holder Operation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeterN

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Film Holder Operation Reply with quote

What is the normal practice of orienting the dark slides on standard 4x5 film holders to indicate un/exposed condition.

I currently have Fidelity/Elite film holders, and am not fluent in their use. I have been using mostly Polaroids in my Crown 4x5, or the odd session with the Grafmatic holders, so I don't know the meaning for the bumpy/smooth sides of the grab handles on the Fidelity holders..

I wish I would have asked my Dad while he was alive, as he used a Speed Graphic for wedding/commercial photography in the 50's.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no correct way.
I think press photographers inserted the darkslide with the bumps out for unexposed film so they could easily find a holder with unexposed film.

Use whatever orientation makes sense to you but be consistent.
PeterN

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K. Thanks for the response.

I figured that it was up to the user, but I thought I should go with convention, if there was one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: