Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fujinon SWD 90mm f/5.6 Large Format Lens

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Vatza

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Fujinon SWD 90mm f/5.6 Large Format Lens Reply with quote

Just took possession of the above lens with plans to use it with my Pacemaker Speed Graphic. I knew it was a large lens. What I did not know is that the rear element is so large that it does not fit the camera. Is there any possible solution you can suggest? Thanks.

Ed
Name is Ed and I'm new to large format and the Speed Graphic. I shoot mostly street and mostly digital (Fuji) with a little film thrown in. At age 70 I am looking at large format as a new horizon for me. Wish me luck!
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the rear cell is too large to fit through the throat of the front standard but the overall length of the lens will fit into the body either closed or the lens at infinity then remove the rear cell, mount the front cell on the lens board to the front standard, remove the focus panel, install the rear lens cell then reinstall the focus panel.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, if your camera has a Graflok back -- look here http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/features.html#GraflokBack for pictures and explanations -- then the procedure for attaching a lens whose rear cell won't pass through the lens throat is:

remove focusing panel

unscrew rear cell from the lens
'
attach front cell and shutter (on a lens board) to the camera's front standard

wiggle the lens' rear cell through the camera's gate and screw it back into the rear of the shutter. This can be fiddly.

replace focusing panel

If your camera has a spring back, this procedure isn't practical. In that case, two solutions if you want to keep the Fujinon. Replace the back. Graflok backs to fit Speeds can be found. Replace the camera with one that has a Graflok.

You haven't said what size your camera is. Is it 4x5?
Ed Vatza

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. My Pacemaker Speed Graphic is a 4x5 and does have a Graflok back. So I guess I can mount the lens the way you suggested. It just seems that it could be a bit of a hassle.

Just for the record, the camera came with the 135mm f/4.7. I have added the Fujinon SWD 90mm f/5.6; Rodenstock 150mm f/5.6 Sironar S; and the Fujinon-W 250mm f/6.3. I think that make a tight kit for now.

Although I am primarily a street photography and shoot digital with Fuji and Ricoh, I do have a couple of other projects which will work with my LF set-up.

Ed
Name is Ed and I'm new to large format and the Speed Graphic. I shoot mostly street and mostly digital (Fuji) with a little film thrown in. At age 70 I am looking at large format as a new horizon for me. Wish me luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: