Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I feel like an idiot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickcollins

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject: I feel like an idiot Reply with quote

Ok, I admit, I'm naive.
I was looking for a Graflex 4x5 Super D camera + lens.
I have been using a friend's Crown Graphic and enjoying it so I thought I would sell some other film gear and get my own 4x5 set up.
I couldn't find anything on the ebay so I dug a little deeper and found a shop near Cleveland, Ohio claiming to specialize in large format gear. They sold me what they said would be a "good, clean, working condition" SD with an Ektar 190mm 5.6 lens. I paid a little more than the going price on ebay, but I figured these guys are techs and it would be worth it. Especially because they said they warranty all their work and products.
When it arrived I discovered that the lens was an Optar, not an Ektar. And the lens was sticky in operation and making a noise on firing.
The handle on the top of the camera came off. It was dry and needs replacing. And there is a small break in the bellows in a hard to see spot underneath. On it goes... and not a surprise with a camera built in 1947.
I tried to make contact and when they did not return emails over several days I made a claim on paypal. Then the owner of the shop finally got back to me, furious that I would make a paypal claim. He said he would solve any problems I had if I would remove the claim.
Unfortunately I trusted him and removed the claim. Once removed paypal does not allow you to make another claim.
As soon as I did this the owner of the shop has not responded to phone calls or emails.
Now, I am awaiting a paypal rep to get back to me. I also filed a Better Business claim.
The reason I am writing here is to simply warn others to be wary and make sure you are protected. Don't do what I did.
I am a trusting person and I got burnt. Take steps to protect yourself when buying equipment online.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See: https://www.photo.net/discuss/threads/i-feel-like-an-idiot.5501820/
Welcome to the site.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: