Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Miniature Speed Graphic Flash options

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenrick

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:55 am    Post subject: Miniature Speed Graphic Flash options Reply with quote

Howdy,

I've always loved press cameras, and recently bought a Miniature Speed Graphic as my first. The camera works great, and I'd like to add a flash capability to it. I'm a little confused looking over the various Graflex flashes on which one would be the appropriate one. As the Miniature SG has a focal plane shutter synch I shouldn't have to worry about getting a servo release correct?

Also from what I've read, if I find a lens with flash connections I can get the appropriate adapter from Paramount and use a modern flash fairly easily?

Thanks!
Henry

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have access to affordable flash bulbs (BIG "if"!), the Graflite 2-cell flash is a possibility for the Mini; the 3-cell version ("Star-Wars" light saber) will also work. I use a Vivitar 2800 electronic flash on my Century; all my Graphex shutters have the "X" synch on them, with the Graphex bi-post flash connection. Paramount has the appropriate cables with fittings for any of the various connections you will need; see http://www.paramountcords.com/product-category/sync-cords/graflex/
jenrick

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I use the Graflite (or similar style) flashes, do I need anything other then the cable from the "house hold" plug on the back of the flash to the two prong sync port on the camera body? And bulbs of course

Does anyone know if the flash sync port on the body of the camera is cable of working with an flash using X sync or something similar? That might be an easier way to go while I track down a good Graphex or similar lens.

Thanks!
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flash sync on the Body will trigger any flash prior to start of exposure, only Focal Plane (FP) flashbulbs will burn long enough to properly expose the frame. For flash photography with flash bulbs use 1/30 second or slower with either the focal plane shutter or the lens leaf shutter. If the lens leaf shutter has X sync or type F flash bulb sync then any speed of the leaf shutter can be used for flash photography.
jenrick

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense.

I think I'm going to just go with an lens with X sync and go from there.

Thanks for the info everyone!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: