Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4x5 Graflok Dividing Back by Graflex
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
europanorama

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:48 am    Post subject: 4x5 Graflok Dividing Back by Graflex Reply with quote

Will get Graflex Graflok 4x5 Dividing Back which is a sliding back with 55mm x 96.85mm frame or a bit shorter than 96.85. max. 6x9 can be achieved/
55 x 82.5mm
from this site i learn there is international Graflok back.
To define the Graflex and Graphic Roll Film Holder you may look at the inscription on the back. It reads Graphic or Graflex. The Graflex Holder is the one with one groove on top of the backside and the Graphic is the one with the two ridges on top. The Graflex Roll Holder is not compatible with a Graflok or Spring back. It only works with a Graflex Back Camera.
----------------
To make it a bit more complicated, there are two types available for either the Graflex Back or the Graphic Spring Back and Graflok back. The camera on the left is a Graflex Super D and has a Graflex Back. Please don't mix it up with its successor the Graflok back
------------------------------
Maybe its time to publish graphic sketches to understand all these backs and compatibility.
there is an 4x5-RB-adapter.
i have RB 67/70mm and Graflex Singer RapidVance RH-50-67/70mm. Two versions of the singer. XL and 4x5. by removing xl-frame i will have 4x5. Cam will be 4x5.
So which backs can i mount on this Dividing back? Since cam will be pinhole register would not matter. Focallengt will only be changed a bit. but on standard 4x5-cam i would need the right focussing-frame.
no chance uploading image from my pc?

Last edited by europanorama on Mon May 23, 2016 6:10 am; edited 2 times in total
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Users can't post images on this site. Users can embed links to images in posts.

http://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/accessories.html presents the information you posted more clearly and with pictures.

6x9 is a poor metric approximation to 2.25 inches x 3.25 inches, often called 2x3. 2x3 is an ancient roll film format that I think -- I could be mistaken -- was invented by Kodak.
europanorama

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:11 am    Post subject: Graflex, Graflok, Graflok-Am i getting crazy? Reply with quote

2x3" Graflok back
2x3" Graflok back, you can use can take Mamiya roll film holders on a 2x3" Graphic with a Graflok back.
Why the hell can 4x5 international back not simply specified as Graflex 4x5 International camera-mount?
It seems i can mount my RB67/70m-2x3" Graflok back onto the Graflex/Graflok Divider.
and this also does not give clear answers:
http://www.apug.org/forum/index.php?threads/dumb-question-what-is-a-Graflok-back.6177/
It seems Graflok is the 4x5 international back
and 2x3 Graflok is the smaller mount for mamiya RB-backs.

And these two are on the Graflex Graflok Divider Back which i cannot show directly.
is there an easy picuploader?
And Graflex-back is something different -i have it(4 pins-frame) on Graflex RH-50(67/70), when removed i get graflok 4x5 international.
Now what means Graflok? Wrong term?
http://www.apug.org/forum/index.php?threads/fs-4x5-graflex-spring-back-and-cambo-4x5-rotating-graflok-back.136106/
Graflex 4x5 seems to be the spring-back-version
Graflok 4x5 the same without spring.
Seems plausible
Graphic is something different see here:
http://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/features.html#GraflokBack
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the second time, there is no way for users to post images on this site. None. Can't be done.

Your concept of "Graflex back" is completely mistaken.

Your understanding of the RH-50 is completely mistaken.

Graflex Inc's terminology, also used by predecessor and successor companies, is very confusing. You would do well to learn the language before posting more incorrect statements.

The Graflex back is used primarily on Graflex SLR cameras. The lower edge of a film holder that fits a Graflex back slips under a lip at the lower edge of the back (for cameras with rotating backs, when the back is in landscape orientation). There is a slider at the top of the back that slides over the film holder's upper edge. The film holder has a vertical groove, runs from top to bottom, at the dark slide end. This groove mates with a ridge on the back. Got that?

The Graflok back was first used on Pacemaker Graphic press cameras, including the Century Graphic. The back has two sliders, one above, the other below, the gate that engage the film holder's edges. Some film holders, e.g., my Sinar Panorama, have slots that the sliders engage. The film holder has two (usually) ridges at the dark slide end that mate with grooves in the back. Got that?

The Graflok back has a focusing panel. Implementations vary by maker, but the rule is that the focusing panel has a pair of spring-loaded arms with hooks at the ends that engage pins. The pins are at the top and bottom of the back, more or less centered on the gate.

Graflex and Graflok backs are not interchangeable.

Ignorant people like you equivocate, call camera backs backs and film holders, including roll film holders, backs. This leads to considerable confusion. Learn the language.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Pacific Rim Camera pacificrimcamera.com , click on the Photographica Pages link at the bottom of the page then click on Graflex (Folmer and Swching) in the list, next click on Graflex SLR, next click Graflex Backs and Film Holders if this link does not work http://www.pacificrimcamera.com/pp/gbacks2.htm
Here you will get a good description of the different backs design and the holders they take.
Graflok was adopted and became International Back for other manufacturers.
The Graphic back is another name for Spring Back, common on all makes of cameras.
Both of these back designs were available in multiple formats.
Roll holders were made in multiple formats to fit different format cameras.

Graflex Corp. used Graflex for the name of a back design and the name of Graphic accessories. A price sheet from 1949 http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/graflex_1.html shows the Graflex Dividing Back as available for 4x5 Graphics only.

Your best bet for more clarification is to purchase a copy of Graflex Graphic Photography by Morgan and Lester from the early to mid fifties. There are 11 or 12 versions from over the years.

I see photos on other sites posted on PhotoBucket and Flickr. Do a search for free photo hosting.
europanorama

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject: naming of the Graflex Graflok-backs Reply with quote

I have flickr account- europanorama.
2. if 6x7-back is mounted (RB67/70) i can cover 69 x120mm by shooting 3 shots.
But i have my doubts the adapter can hold the back when rotated. images done by pushing back upwards. Will see when here.
Graflex RH50-67/70mm-have both version with and without Graphic XL-frame. without its for 4x5 graflok.
wrong informations deleted.
3DStereo-Aeropanorama

Last edited by europanorama on Mon May 23, 2016 6:12 am; edited 1 time in total
europanorama

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: naming of the Graflex Graflok-backs Reply with quote

europanorama wrote:
I have flickr account- europanorama.
2. if 6x7-back is mounted (RB67/70) i can cover 69 x120mm by shooting 3 shots.
But i have my doubts the adapter can hold the back when rotated. images done by pushing back upwards. Will see when here.
Graflex RH50-67/70mm-have both version with and without Graphic XL-frame. without its for 4x5 graflok.
Graflex Graflok is the right name for Divider Back. Graflok 45-2x3"-graflok by graflex

my statement is wishful thinking:
1. camera-side frame is only 56 x 92mm W X H(vertical orientation)
2. full frame casn be mesasured from the back where film-holder 4x5 is attached. i can mount my Graflex RH50-67/70-back(for both DP/UP films. Has no vaccum like mamiya RB67/70(as option). but its filmpressure plate has 10 3mm holes..... for future vaccuum?
rounded: 121 x102mm(is a bit smaller but i cannot measure)
so the 56 x 92mm will slide over these 121 x102mm..
the only real advantange of this divider is cutting 4x5-sheet into two pieces. Most ideal for New 55 (Negative/Positive)which costs 15 usd/each image.
When 6x7-back/45 or 6x9/45 is used(not 23-graflok its not mountable) only a almost squared frame can be used 57 x56mm. does not make sense. can use direct 4x5/RB-back from ebay.
How about the two toyo-sliding backs with integrated screen? one is for MPU(Mamiya Press universal, the other for 23-graflok Toyo, right?
Can the backs be moved over the whole 4x5-frame? for stitching frames?
One option is enlarging small frame of my 4x5 Graflox Divider Back by Graflex. But i will not alter that, instead using it with NEW 55.
one option is also cutting 4x5-sheet into two pieces before developping. easy mounting in standard 120/220-reels. 56 x 92mm = 2.2 x 3.63 "-larger than 6x9(84mm) 1:1.5 versus 1: 1.6-10% larger.
cannot use MP4-parts used on the slider. maybe holding down its screen when both metallic axis are removed(they are only sticked in the frame).
europanorama

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: More strange news- most ideal for NEW 55 Reply with quote

Found out that i cannot use this divider back the way i thought getting largest image when shooting multiple 2-3 images 6x7.
Frame is 56 x 92mm vertical total frame would be 92 x120mm
if filmholder RH-50 or other 6x7(also 6x9 can be attached)could be rotated then 68 x 120mm was the aim. But only horizontal orientation on horizontal back is possible. which should lead to at least 57 x 120mm if only the main frame would be enlarged from 56mm to 120mm. i will not do that since this divider is most ideal to shoot two images on 4x5. most ideal for NEW 55 which cost 15 usd/image. btw: new film 400 asa is announced by catlabs maybe also color.
So it took and tested how 545i would behave when slider in action. first image would be ok but when sliding to the other end-big surprise-plastic grip would touch the slider leading to a 1-2mm lift. this side may only be 9mm protruded from the base there. Polaroid forgot about this rare divider back.
1. is there a good 545i-alternative(i know multiple version were made) where this plastic grip is protruding less?
2. if exposing 4x5 sheet twice how is it possible that first image, made on opposite side if darkslide-slit is protected during second shooting? there is an approx. 2mm gap between the frame-septum and filmplane. when i have MP3 setup i will test that out. images will follow. i am also posting on FB largeformat group.
europanorama

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject: Dividing Back updates on FB Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/groups/134289370064300/570508306442402/?notif_t=like&notif_id=1463912066616149
RH-50 back not yet shown when mounted
But interesting news about using it for NEW 55 in 545. 545i does not match!
see details there.
europanorama

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: 4x5 Graflok (Graphic) Dividing Back Reply with quote

Naming Graphic from the seller- Still unknown on which camera it can be attached.
dimensions: 121 x217mm details in flickr-link below
This special dividing back is made to divide 4x5 into two pieces and is not international. cannot mount it onto polaroid MP3 where is a spring-groundglass.
the deepening is smaller(a bit less than 6mm) than the counterpart(7mm) at the MP3-back.
Not standard or for other cams-which ones?
It seems 4x5 graflok standards changed over the times.
to focus one would need a focussing-glass in frame. i dont yet have.
maybe i will use it(will adding 37mm extension) for 4x5-pinhole-cam.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sigmasd14/albums/72157669935791505
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you rambling and bombarding us with random facts or are you asking a question? If you're asking a question, please ask it clearly and directly.

The back whose picture you posted on flickr is a normal ordinary Graflok dividing back as described on p. 47 of www.galerie-photo.com/manuels/pacemaker-crown-speed-graphic.pdf

It attaches to a 4x5 Graflok back, replaces the focusing panel. It accepts a Pacemaker Graphic focusing panel. The focusing panel is used for focusing and retains the sheet film holder, which inserts between the focusing panel and the back. Roll holders for 4x5 Graflok backs are held to the dividing back by its slide locks.
europanorama

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Helped a lot but.... Reply with quote

The same like here happenend to me 2 decades ago when i met a computer-expert me being a newbie.
The experts also cancelled me down with snooty behaviour.
since i cannot attach images here i will upload the information from dans link to pacemaker crown speed graphic-manual
here to flickr europanorama
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sigmasd14/albums/72157669935791505
GRAFLOK DIVIDING BACK
For Pakemaker Graphic 45 only
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, so much better. Unfortunately there's no new information on flickr. Please check that your upload succeeded.
europanorama

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject: In Fotostream Reply with quote

Flickr is so complicated. I uploaded but it landed in fotostream....??????
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sigmasd14/
Why the hell cant they make it more intuitive?
Have found it: there is an old editor....
I simply extracted the information from dan froms pacemaker-manual-link. page 39/38
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you now understand how to use the dividing back and what it can be attached to? Do you now understand which film holders can be used with it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: