Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this Crown View complete?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmccl@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject: Is this Crown View complete? Reply with quote

I stumbled on this in the big e-bay and I got to thinking that I might make a big leap from MF to LF and combine my septuagenarian American flesh and bones with a septuagenarian American camera and travel various National Parks capturing images to see what the outcome might be. I don't want to spend the money on the camera if it doesn't have all the required components, for example, where do the sheet holders slide into the camera? I guess framing and focusing is all done on the rear glass as I see no view finder. Here is the link to the e-bay post:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221581711236?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Please advise me on this so I don't drop a bunch on a pretty piece of wood and brass that would require additional components to make the vintage tool work.

Thanks all.

Jim
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the camera is complete. It has a spring back, shown clearly in the fourth picture. The ground glass focusing panel is held to the camera by the two leaf springs visible in that picture. Sheet film holders go in front of the focusing panel.

The lens on the camera is a 127/4.7 Ektar, a decent tessar type lens that barely covers 4x5. If you buy the kit and want to use movements you'll have to replace the lens.

You should buy a book on view cameras and study it before buying a camera. You might also want to visit the US large format site http://www.largeformatphotography.info, read the FAQs and, perhaps, ask questions on the forum. Posters there recommend two books, Steve Simmons' Understanding the View Camera and Leslie Strobel's View Camera Technique.

I have no idea what the going rate for Century view cameras is so don't know whether your eBay find is a good value.
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a complete camera.
I think you could find a better view camera for field work for the $500 shipped price but it appears to be a nice copy if you want the vintage.
Many times the extension is not included. Its a + for using long lens or macro work.
See this site article: http://graflex.org/articles/graphic-view/CrownView.html
Billy Canuck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 127mm lens on my 1947 Speed Graphic. Press photographers liked this focal length because it gave them a slightly wide view. As Dan Fromm said, this lens will not allow movements, but press photographers had no use for them. Normal lens for a 4x5 is around 150mm, with many preferring a slightly long 210mm. These will allow movements, the extent of which depends on the coverage of the particular lens.
The seller describes the camera as a collector's piece, which makes me wonder about the condition of the bellows, the lens, the shutter and the included film holders. (The bellows looks not bad in the photos, but you can't really tell from photos.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: