Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kalart focuspot for Rolleiflex 3,5 TLR
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Photoyann10

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Kalart focuspot for Rolleiflex 3,5 TLR Reply with quote

Hello,
I've just bought a Kalart focuspot for Rolleiflex 3,5 E. I need information about batteries and lamp in order to use it. Any help would be greatly appreciate.
As some you seem to use laser lamp in Kalart focuspot for Graflex cameras I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to do the same in this particular focuspot for Rolleiflex tlr ...

Thank you veru much.

Yannick MICHEL (from France)
Photoyann10

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Kalart focuspot for Rolleiflex Reply with quote

No problem for finding new cells. It's easy.
I'm looking for the bulb now. It seems to be a midget lamp of 3 or 4 mm diameter.
Any information ?

Thanks,

Yannick
Photoyann10

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Kalart focuspot Reply with quote

Well... Anybody knows which bulb is suitable for this Kalart focuspot for Rolleiflex 3,5 tlr ??
sobahguy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Kalart Focus-spot bulb Reply with quote

Hi there...I am at work now & not near my cameras/equipment/manuals but once I can check on this I will post again. I think it might be like a mini-bulb on the variety of a #13 or #14 which I believe would be readily available at your local Radio Shack or at a decent well-stocked hardware store. Let me get home for the weekend & check on it and I will re-visit you here....Stay tuned........
sobahguy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: Kalart FOCUSPOT Lamps Reply with quote

Hey Now!!! I'm back again with the info I said that I'd retrieve for you. The following is taken right from the Kalart FOCUSPOT instruction leaflet that I've had in my files for many a year. This deals with the FOCUSPOT units that are typically fitted to the top of the Kalart Range Finders attached to the sides of Graphic cameras. I don't know if Kalart made some other different type or style of FOCUSPOT that was somehow rigged up to Rolleiflex or Rolleicord cameras. Anyway, I hope the following info helps all who read this who might benefit from it...

HOW TO REPLACE AND FOCUS A NEW LAMP
When it becomes necessary to replace the lamp, loosen the set screw and remove the FOCUSPOT bakelite socket. The lamp (which is held in position by spring tension) is removed and a fresh one substituted. Replacements should be the Mazda # 13 lamp designed for 3.8 volts, or equal. These are the ordinary Mazda flashlight bulbs, commonly used with 3 cell flashlights.
After the lamp has been replaced in the FOCUSPOT housing and connected to the battery case, the lamp filament should be focused before tightening the set screw. To do this, flash the FOCUSPOT beams on a light colored wall in a darkened room, at a distance of about 10 feet, and turn the socket until the beams are horizontal. Push or pull the socket slightly in and out untill the beams are brought into sharp focus. Then tighten the screw.
-NOTE-
The original lamp supplied with your FOCUSPOT has been selected and tested by the Kalart Company. If a replacement lamp projects only one beam of light through the Range Finder instead of two, the lamp should be discarded and another tried. Although this discarded lamp is suitable for use in ordinary flashlights, its filament is off-center and therefore not suitable for use with the FOCUSPOT. The Kalart Company can supply replacement lamps which have been tested and selected for use in the FOCUSPOT at 20c each.

So there you have it...Well, obviously, Kalart is no longer in business to supply suitable replacement lamps for FOCUSPOTS since here we are practically into 2011!!! That's why I said in my post from yesterday that a good well-stocked hardware store or a Radio Shack should carry the # 13 mini-bulbs if you need one. Heck, if all else fails you might even try finding a local hobby shop that carries Lionel train sets, small screws and other miscellaneous hobby supplies. The last time I picked up a half dozen of those bulbs they weren't much more than $2.00 for the 6 of them.

It's also interesting to note here that the # 13 mini-bulbs are the same ones required for the focusing light beam that is needed behind the infamous "glass eye" on the original Graflex Flash Synchronizers that were made famous by that certain science fiction film franchise a generation ago. That's what I used those half dozen # 13 bulbs for a couple of years ago. (That number 13 bulb is the correct one in the flash tube when using 3 "D" batteries.)

As far as batteries or cells, I don't think that any are needed in the FOCUSPOT. It draws its power from the flash battery case by a short jumper cord attached to one of the outlets on the flash battery case. This short jumper cord has one end that plugs directly onto the bipost-like prongs on the side of the FOCUSPOT itself.

As far as somehow retro-fitting some type of laser-pointer-like bulb into the FOCUSPOT I'm afraid I'll have to defer to someone else who may have tried to do that with any success. I guess I'm just not technically-saavy enough to have ever tried to do that and probably never will. I guess I'm just too old school and too stuck in the past to give it a shot. I guess that's why I'm a little screwy going out & hunting down # 13 mini-bulbs to restore old and dusty 70-year-old flash handles and FOCUSPOTS in the first place. The old ways worked great I guess and I also guess I'm too old of a dog to learn many new tricks in this modern age.

A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.xs4all.nl/~lommen9/kalart/page9.html says there is a type A for Graflex battery case and a type C for use with a Kalart battery case.

Mazda base is also called Edison base and screw base.

I checked RadioShack and they do not have a 3.8V screw base miniature bulb. They do carry a standard slip in type 3.8V flashlight bulb, I do not know if it will fit.

A 2 cell battery case provides 3V; a 3 cell battery case provides 4.5V. It does not matter if they are C, D, AA, or AAA cells.

The factory 3.8V bulb would burn dimmer and last longer on a 2 cell case and burn brighter and last shorter on a 3 cell case.

Depending on the voltage of your power source any bulb that is of similar voltage and will fit the housing and project the filament will work.
alecj

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sobaguy said:

"As far as batteries or cells, I don't think that any are needed in the FOCUSPOT. It draws its power from the flash battery case by a short jumper cord attached to one of the outlets on the flash battery case. This short jumper cord has one end that plugs directly onto the bipost-like prongs on the side of the FOCUSPOT itself."

It seems you overlooked the fact this FocusSpot is being using on a Rollei. Now, he may be using a Graflex battery case with it, but I suspect he's using the battery container that I recall came with these units and it attached to the camera somehow.
Photoyann10

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Focuspot for Rolleiflex Reply with quote

Hello,

Thanks for your reply but I'm afraid the bulb in this Focuspot for Rolleiflex is smaller than in the Focuspot for Graflex cameras.
Here is a link where you can see this focuspot for Rollei :
http://www.geocities.jp/je2luz/focuspot1.htm
I asked the japanese guy to send a photo of this lamp but he doesn't want to remove it being afraid to break something.

If somebody wants the user guide of this focuspot for Rollei, ask me.
My email is : yan-michel@wanadoo.fr

Yannick
alecj

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.craigcamera.com is the largest seller of photo manuals I know of.

And, you might try contacting folks that specialize in them, e.g. Henry Fleenor at
www.craigcamera.com

Frankly you're in the wrong site now. You need to raise these questions on sites that specialize in Rolleis. I'd think there are more such sites in Europe than over here.
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not recall having seen one of these and I do not read Japanese. Looking at the pictures on that linked seller site I can determine that it was made by Kalart in US A, it uses 3 C cell batteries so the 3.8V bulb called for in the side RF version will be perfect for this unit. If the pictures of the white ring(s) are the output of the TLR RF then the light from the bulb is being projected or reflected via mirrors to the front windows. There is ample room between the front windows for the same bulb used in the side RF unit, mirrors, and associated parts to fit. A LED can be adapted to work in place of the incandescent bulb in this unit.

Do you own one?
Are you just investigating prior to purchasing one?
Photoyann10

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Kalart focuspot for Rolleiflex tlr Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply !

The lamp is missing in my focuspot. I investigate yes.
The unit needs 3 cells of 1,5 V.
The lamp should not exceed 4 mm in diameter and 20 mm in length. The contact is made with the pear-shaped cover.
Very difficult to have information it seems...
An american guy was selling on Ebay the same focuspot yersterday. I try to ask him to remove the bulb and send photos to me. He told me ok but still nothing. The japanes guy, him, doesn't want to remove it.

Yes may be a LED could be use...

Anyway, THANK YOU for your replies.

Yannick MICHEL
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bulb for a side rf focuspot:
http://www.bulbtown.com/13_MINIATURE_BULB_E10_BASE_p/13.htm
may be too large diameter, correct length.
E10 base- 10mm
E5 base- 5mm
a possible to get by with:
http://www.bulbtown.com/1767_69L_LENS_END_MINIATURE_BULB_MIDGET_SCREW_E_5_p/1767-69l.htm
Photoyann10

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Focuspot Rollei Reply with quote

E 5 is too large... I went to the site but can't understand the american sizes. There is no size in millimeter.

Yannick
C. Henry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yannick;

To convert American inch sizes to MM (millimeter) multiply inch size by 25.4 for size in MM.
for example 1/4 inch (0.25") x 25.4 = 6.35 millimeter (MM)

C. Henry
Photoyann10

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: