Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graflex KE-4; Ektar 2.5"/4.5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charles Barringer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Graflex KE-4; Ektar 2.5"/4.5 Reply with quote

I just got a 2 1/2" optical assembly for KE-4 from the great auction site and was wondering a few things. Serial number is RM189.

Does anyone have info on the optical design of this lens? Any ideas of total production of this lens? Or of any of the elements of the system? Any good links for more info about the KE-4 / 6 systems?

Does anyone have a clue if the focusing mechanism / bayo mount for the 4" lens might fit the 2.5" or be adaptable to it? (Actually, I might as well ask if anyone has a spare focusing mount for the 2.5" they would part with, or an organ donor needing new glass.)

Could someone send either a scan from a publication or some pictures of the complete lens so I could see what I should be aiming for?

thanks
Les

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I only handled one these cameras once and Todd Gustavson was looking over my shoulder when I did it, I can really say much about switching mounts between the 2.5 and 4" lens. I have some literature (a civilian brochure and a reprint of a review from US Camera) but they talk in generalities keeping lens formulas to themselves.

I also have an engineer's paper on the rangefinder and coupling system of the "Graphic 70" (civilian name) and while it's heavy in detail and math, I don't think that's what you are looking for either.

Production is sketchy, the military accepted 490 out of a 500 unit contract, though it seems they allotted 1000 serial numbers for the civilian model, how many were actually made is anybody's guess, though the retail price of the outfit being $1850 in 1955 probably kept production low (adjusted for inflation, that's $14K+, almost makes the MSRP of $8000 for a Nikon D3x look cheap........almost.)

Photos I can help you with. they aren't the best, but the best I can do for now. look quickly because my dear old ISP is closing this server on the 19th and the link will die. They gave me a new site, but it's flash based and I haven't figured out where to put the AG1's in to make it work yet.

I also have the military service manual but it's on microfiche and I don't have any way of scanning/copying a 1cm square and make it readable. If I have time, maybe I can to a quick scan with my old microscope and see if any lens diagrams show up.

(camera, flash, and three lenses)
http://home.twmi.rr.com/lnphoto/combat70web.jpg

close up of the wide angle lens:

http://home.twmi.rr.com/lnphoto/combat70ektarweb.jpg
Charles Barringer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: 2.5" Ektar for KE-4 Reply with quote

Thanks for the info and the images, Les. The shot of the 2.5 is very helpful as it gives me an idea of the proportions of the original to use as a guide in my reconstruction efforts.
scifan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The focussing mount from the 4" lens would not work on this camera.You will have to find an original mount for this lens if you want to use it on the combat graphic.This lens is the rarest of the three made for the 70mm combat graphic.I wish you luck in finding the parts to repair the lens.
Charles Barringer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: 2.5" Ektar for KE-4 Reply with quote

Thanks for confirming what I had already determined about the unsuitability of the 4" focusing mount for this lens. I realize that it will require a miracle to find the missing components for this lens (or to find a complete one), but hope springs eternal. Thanks.
scifan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Total production of this lens is probably only a few hundred units.
Charles Barringer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: 2.5" Ektar for KE-4 Reply with quote

That confirms what I had heard. That's also the reason I snagged this one even though incomplete, figuring that a bird in the hand ... even though the lens as such is useless for its intended function.

I intend to jury-rig it so I can test it out on my baby Speed, just to see if the short, wide Ektar is where it should be, optically.

The reflections suggest a symmetrical 4-element lens - 8 a/g surfaces 6 of which have similar curvatures and 2 much flatter. I remain interested in learning more about the optical construction if anyone can help.
pinelakes09

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject: ks-6/ke-4 Reply with quote

just purchased ks-6 still camera set in original case, seems like everything is there including ke-4 camera, lenses, flash, etc but don't really known what should be included. great case and mint condiion. what do I do next. any thoughts bob at pinelakes09@comcast.net
C. Henry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what its worth the "RM" in the serial number translates to a 1953 date of manufacture for the lens.

C. Henry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Military Cameras All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: