Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What kind of graflex is this?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toyon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: What kind of graflex is this? Reply with quote

Hello, I am new to graflexes and am wondering what model of graflex this is? It is 4x5 format. [/img]http://i7.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/a2/bd/f735_1.JPG[img]
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give the Ebay number, cannot find the camera with what you gave us!
Bert
Toyon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: What graflex Reply with quote

Sorry about that. Try

http://i7.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/a2/bd/f735_1.JPG
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auto Graflex, 1906-1915 version.
Toyon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Autograflex Information Reply with quote

Any suggestions as to where I can get more information on early autograflex cameras? It is too bad this site doesn't have a comprehensive list and timeline of models.
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Any suggestions as to where I can get more information on early autograflex cameras?

The All-American Cameras, A Review of Graflex by Richard P. Paine. Copies show up on ebay regularly. Also read the home page and linked articles (to avoid futher embarassing yourself) and ask more questions. The Graflex SLR's are very simular in design and function. The older the camera the less information there is available. Does yours have a button shutter release?
Quote:
It is too bad this site doesn't have a comprehensive list and timeline of models.
I think this qualifies, http://www.graflex.org/graflex-products-list.html
Toyon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject: Button Reply with quote

My model has a shutter button. I'm not embarrassed, that list is not comprehensive, just complete.
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes it the earliest version of 1906-1910. The serial number will be stamped into the lip of the view hood opening at the rear of the camera or behind the view hood top attach point on the lid, I do not know when the position switched. Serial numbers were not recorded until the early 1920's. The serial number will be 5 digits on early cameras.

the book referenced above http://cgi.ebay.com/Review-Of-Graflex-Cameras_W0QQitemZ220126541743QQihZ012QQcategoryZ711QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
Charles
Toyon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Shutter repair Reply with quote

Thank you for the information. Do you happen to know someone who can repair/reset the shutter? The curtain itself is in great condition, but it is hung up. I've looked at it, but am unable to set it to working condition.
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email bertsaunders (via the link in his member profile) and request his Graflex Focal Plane Shutter Repair instructions.
The Online RB Graflex Manual ( http://graflex.org/RBGraflex) manual instructions will apply to your camera. (RB stands for revolving back). The shutter controls may look different but function the same. On the mirror set lever H is a wheel with I=instanteous and T=time marked on it. With the wheel in the T position the shutter release button will only release the mirror and not trip the shutter. To trip the shutter with the wheel in the T position press lever M. To set to I press in on the wheel and turn counterclockwise.
The common problems with the shutters is the grease on the roller end bearings dires up and slows or sticks the rollers, and the shutter curtain dries out and does not wind as tight on the rollers as when new and the curtain now drags on the body curtain openings.
Start by removing the camera back paying close attention to what type and length of screw goes where. Using a precision pin oiler apply 1 to 3 drops of light weight oil to the roller shafts where they enter the bushings.
With the tension set to 5 or 6 and wheel at I operate the shutter several times. Warning: The shutter is easily snaged and torn with the back removed, exercise caution when operating with the back removed.
To soften the shutter curtain coat it heavily with Pledge Natural Beauity, http://www.pledge.com/, and allow it to soak for several hours to overnight.
Do Not adjust the shutter tension until the rollers and curtain have been fully serviced and are operating smoothly and freely. The nut covering the tension setting may be difficult to remove, I have not been able to remove the one on my 1911 camera.
The mahogany body screw holes strip out easily, to repair dip a round toothpick in wood glue and insert into the striped hole and cut flush with the body. Use a small nail to make a start hole in the center of the new dowel for the screw to start in and install the screw.

The hardware is brass covered with a thin layer of silver, metal polish removes the silver. The hardware should look gray.

If this information does not get the shutter going please describe the problem in detail.
Charles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: