Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question on Convertible lenses...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'd like to have one of those convertible lenses made by Schneider, like the Symmar 240-420, for use on my Graflex Super Speed Graphic. Question is: does the bellows extend enough to focus correctly at 420mm?
Les

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Super Graphic has an approximate bellows draw of 12" so a 240mm lens of normal design will work within reason, although you won't be able to focus very close with it.

A 420mm lens is 16.5 inches and won't come close to focusing at infinity. Further, a convertible lens uses more bellows draw than normal when the cell is in the rear so unless you mount this with a 6" extension tube, it won't work.
Ronin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard somewhere that if the rear element is removed instead of the front one, it can be focused without too much extension... Is this true? If yes, would it still work as a 420mm without the rear element? Or has a different focal?

thanks,

Fulvio
Les

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, putting the single cell infront will not so much a shorter bellows draw, but the right amount. The focal length on a lens is measured from the rear node of the lens to the film plane. In most cases the rear node fall fairly close to where the lensboard is.

With half the lens, the rear node is shifted in front of the board so that 420mm is measured not from the film plane to the board, but to somewhere in front, probably about 10mm.

By putting the cell in front, you move the rear node behind the lensboard, so now it focuses infinity at 410mm instead of 430mm, but a Speed Graphic can only stretch to 300mm. So it still won't fit.

Siu Fai

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the 150mm Symmar and with the front cell removed I can't get focus even at infinity on the Super Speed. It is do-able on the regular Speed Graphic.

So with a 240 symmar, forgetaboutit.
troublemaker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Symmar 135 / 235, and while the 135mm is of reasonable quality, but not as good as either of my older 135 Optars, the longer conversion is pretty bad as far as sharpness goes, and as noted above, requires the max bellows draw and will still only get in to about six feet. A nice portrait lens? I haven't found this to be a very good lens for the Graphic, but it is the one that works both ways.
Regards,
Stephen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: