Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graflex/Rodenstock 135/4.5 "1000" lens filter thread?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I own a Super Speed Graflex with a Rodenstock "1000" lens. It is a 135mm 4.5 lens with high shutter speed capability (up to 1/1000). The lens is fine. However, I'd like to mount some filters on it (and maybe also some lens adapters). I don't know which is its thread diameter. It is very small, in fact. It has also some sort of external thread, where the hood is placed. Anyone can help me?

thank you
Jack5541

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think any threaded filters can be used. The lens hood set-up on the Graflex 1000 shutter was designed to accept non-threaded Series VI gel filters. What you do is to unscrew the lens hood counter-clockwise until it comes off the shutter. (This is the same hood which is used to cock the shutter when turned clockwise). Once you remove the lens hood, this will reveal a pocket into which you can slip a Series VI filter and then screw it back on to the front of the shutter.
Ronin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-10-20 10:10, Jack5541 wrote:
I don't think any threaded filters can be used.

there's a thread... but it is very small... I think about 35mm large but can't be sure.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are the threads you see? Inside the lens shade/cocking ring?
If so they are most likely someone else's modification.
[ihave]3 shutters and none have any threads in the front of the lens hood/cocking ring.

Ronin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-10-20 18:48, 45PSS wrote:

no, in the front of the lens, just like any "regular" lens; but I'm not sure about its diameter...
Jack5541

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-10-21 01:07, Ronin wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-10-20 18:48, 45PSS wrote:

no, in the front of the lens, just like any "regular" lens; but I'm not sure about its diameter...

Hi Ronin...Are you sure you have a Graflex 1000 shutter? The one with the twist/cock lens hood? The only threads I know about are on the back of the large ribbed lens hood which screw it into the shutter itself. I'm with 45PSS on this one...I don't THINK that there are any threads on the inside of the lens hood, atleast none that I have ever noticed and none that will accept screw-in filters. As far as I know the only factory-intended arrangement for filters with the Graflex 1000 shutter were Series VI drop-in filters, as I described above and as is described in the Super Speed Graphic user manual.
Could you post (or link to) a photo of what you have?
Ronin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you sure you have a Graflex 1000 shutter?

yes

Quote:

The one with the twist/cock lens hood?

yes

Quote:
The only threads I know about are on the back of the large ribbed lens hood which screw it into the shutter itself.

yes that's the biggest thread
but there's another right after the front element... It is not on the lens hood.

Quote:

Could you post (or link to) a photo of what you have?

I'll have my first digital camera delivered in these days. As soon I can I will post a picture of my lens. Stay tuned!

Fulvio
Jack5541

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking more about this, do you mean threads on the inside of the lens bezel itself, with the lens hood removed? If so, I wouldn't think that the Graflex 1000 shutter was designed to have any filters placed there. Even if you could find filters to screw directly into the lens bezel, I don't know if the lens hood could then be screwed all the way back on and sit properly, which is required in order to cock the shutter. Atleast I have neither done it nor heard of anyone trying to do this. As mentioned above, I've only used drop-in Series VI Wratten filters which the Graflex 1000 shutter was designed to accept.

[ This Message was edited by: Jack5541 on 2004-10-21 06:33 ]
Ronin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I don't know if the lens hood could then be screwed all the way back on and sit properly, which is required in order to cock the shutter.

That would be the least problem: I'm able to cock the shutter even without the hood. Try it yourself - it is not very comfortable, but can be done.

[ This Message was edited by: Ronin on 2004-10-21 06:40 ]
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of my Rodenstock Graflex Optar 135mm's have what appear to be filter threads but they are the threads that the element retaining ring use to hold the front element in place. A custom made filter MIGHT fit into the few remaining threads but would not go more than two or three turns.
{FYI}The element retaining ring is the one with Graflex Optar and Rodenstock and all that printed on it.

Ronin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-10-21 18:40, 45PSS wrote:
Both of my Rodenstock Graflex Optar 135mm's have what appear to be filter threads but they are the threads that the element retaining ring use to hold the front element in place.

yes, that's it...
What I had in mind is to find a way to screw a series VII fisheye lens adapter in front of the lens. I've tested the adapter on a 90mm schenider and it works well, but resulting image is too wide for my tastes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: