Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Century Graphic track extension limited

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hsandler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:07 pm    Post subject: Century Graphic track extension limited Reply with quote

I just acquired a Century Graphic. It works, but it seems that the focus rack only extends about 1 cm past the end of the door. I see that what appears to be stopping further extension is a ridge on the outside of the inner focus track hits a raised portion of the door frame (see photo). It appears like this is by design, but I can see there is a lot more to the rack and pinion, perhaps 4cm more extension possible. Any help or photos of another Century would be appreciated.

[/img]century track_9849 by Howard Sandler, on Flickr

century track_9848 by Howard Sandler, on Flickr
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The total extension of my Century bed is 3 cm. I think what's happened on yours is the same thing that happened on mine when I was a newbie---the front door has been closed before the rack was fully retracted into the camera body with bellows fully retracted, bending the black rail guide such that it interferes with the travel of the rack. I can't really see this detail from your second photo, though.
hsandler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry wrote:
The total extension of my Century bed is 3 cm. I think what's happened on yours is the same thing that happened on mine when I was a newbie---the front door has been closed before the rack was fully retracted into the camera body with bellows fully retracted, bending the black rail guide such that it interferes with the travel of the rack. I can't really see this detail from your second photo, though.

Thank you Henry. On close inspection I can see there is a slot in the black rail guide that the flange on the inner rails is supposed to fit into. There was just enough bending of either the flange or the rail guide to prevent the flange from entering the slot. If I "help" it by pressing the flange down as it engages, I can now get the full extension.
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I did on mine was to take a small brass washer (out of my model railroad supplies!) and install it under the screw head (your second photo). The washer holds the guide rail in the proper position so it doesn't interfere with the travel of the rack. I blackened the washer with a magic marker to match the guide rail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: