Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ground Glass for RB Series B

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thereisnocat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Ground Glass for RB Series B Reply with quote

This past week, I received a Graflex RB Series B 4x5 that I had one on one of the auction sites (not the big one). The leather is scuffed, but none of it is peeling. The handle is gone, replaced with some string. The shutter seems to be in good shape. Near as I can tell, it's an early one, serial number 122271. Looking at the various serial number lists online, I don't see any 4x5 RB Series B near that, but other cameras near there seem to be from around 1923.

When I received it and opened it up, it was in pretty good shape, but it was clear that the ground glass was missing. Anyone have any tips on how to replace it? Best sources for ground glass for this beast?

One interesting thing; it came with a Graflex Plate Magazine. 12 septums inside, each of them filled with another numbered septum for film. Anyone have any experience with the Plate Magazine? Were the fillers purpose built, or are they Cut Film Magazine septums?
shutterfinger

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

122271 listed in mid Nov. 1922, may have actually been made in Jan 1923.
Telescopic design rebadged Series B. The Telescopic was being phased out and the Series B introduced with 1923 the cutoff date and introduction date for both models. Series B labled bodies have been reported as early as early 1922 with Telescopic labeled Series B designs as late as 1924.
https://graflex.org/graflex-products-list.html

If its the ground glass that goes under the view hood measure the recess of the opening and order a piece cut to size off ebay, its nothing special. Are the springs present?

Bag Magazines of that era came in two flavors, plate magazines and cut film magazines.
Download the instructions here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1sPJkp-MdghNFVsYXk0a1dUTHM/view?usp=sharing
thereisnocat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shutterfinger wrote:
122271 listed in mid Nov. 1922, may have actually been made in Jan 1923.
Telescopic design rebadged Series B. The Telescopic was being phased out and the Series B introduced with 1923 the cutoff date and introduction date for both models. Series B labled bodies have been reported as early as early 1922 with Telescopic labeled Series B designs as late as 1924.
https://graflex.org/graflex-products-list.html

That's interesting, and very cool. Thank you. Any significant differences between the Telescopic and the Series B that I should be aware of?

shutterfinger wrote:
If its the ground glass that goes under the view hood measure the recess of the opening and order a piece cut to size off ebay, its nothing special. Are the springs present?l

Mostly. The one toward the front of the camera looks intact:

The one nearer the back looks to have one of the arms broken off:

I had purchased one of the relatively inexpensive ground glasses available on eBay, but it may have been too thick, and it broke. Or maybe I misinstalled it. Tips on installing the ground glass? I have a thinner gg on the way from Holgamods.
shutterfinger

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the original gg was 1/16 -3/32 thick, 1/8 will work but care must be taken to get it in.
The front goes between the spring arms and the metal frame. The frame is adjusted to compensate for the mirror angle. The spring on the rear is missing an arm. Measure the thickness of the spring, .010 to .025 inch thick.
Using the original as a template cut a new arm for the missing side. Cut a strip the same width as the arms that fits from mid point of each arm across the center to the mid point of the other. Solder the brace to the center, existing arm and replacement arm. The brace can be thinner than the arms.
With the rear spring removed from the body slip the gg under the front spring arms, ground side down, then let the gg seat onto the wood frame. Set the rear spring into place and secure with the screws. The springs should just hold the gg so that it does not slip or lift up.
Download https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1sPJkp-MdghRkRId1EwT0dpNkk/view?usp=sharing and
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1sPJkp-MdghS2llS1VaRkRIWUk/view?usp=sharing
Figure 1 is a Series B, figure 4 is a Series D.
I have a handle template if you need it, give me your email via private message.

Quote:
Any significant differences between the Telescopic and the Series B that I should be aware of?

The Telescopic has a front standard with removable lens boards on a focus rail each side of the standard. The later Series B has a fixed lens mount on a center focus frame with a smaller door over the lens.
The Tele is closer to the series D than the series B.
thereisnocat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent. Thanks for the detailed instructions.

No removable lens board on this camera. Definitely fits the Series B description better.
Tim Floyd

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm replacing mine with a brighter finder I bought off eBay, and I noticed that someone placed shims between the camera and the prior ground glass, I assume to micro adjust for focus.

Should the new fresnel lens just lay in the camera without shims, or is there an adjustment to be made. I assume to do this one would compare the focus on the fresnel lens to the focus on the rear ground glass?

Thanks,

Tim Floyd
Tim Floyd

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great explanation, and instructions, by the way!

shutterfinger wrote:
I think the original gg was 1/16 -3/32 thick, 1/8 will work but care must be taken to get it in.
The front goes between the spring arms and the metal frame. The frame is adjusted to compensate for the mirror angle. The spring on the rear is missing an arm. Measure the thickness of the spring, .010 to .025 inch thick.
Using the original as a template cut a new arm for the missing side. Cut a strip the same width as the arms that fits from mid point of each arm across the center to the mid point of the other. Solder the brace to the center, existing arm and replacement arm. The brace can be thinner than the arms.
With the rear spring removed from the body slip the gg under the front spring arms, ground side down, then let the gg seat onto the wood frame. Set the rear spring into place and secure with the screws. The springs should just hold the gg so that it does not slip or lift up.
Download https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1sPJkp-MdghRkRId1EwT0dpNkk/view?usp=sharing and
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1sPJkp-MdghS2llS1VaRkRIWUk/view?usp=sharing
Figure 1 is a Series B, figure 4 is a Series D.
I have a handle template if you need it, give me your email via private message.

Quote:
Any significant differences between the Telescopic and the Series B that I should be aware of?

The Telescopic has a front standard with removable lens boards on a focus rail each side of the standard. The later Series B has a fixed lens mount on a center focus frame with a smaller door over the lens.
The Tele is closer to the series D than the series B.

Tim Floyd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK YOU, whoever sent the link to the graflex repair/maintenance PDF!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: