Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got another Super D 3x4,Graflok back & shutter questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJDphoto

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Got another Super D 3x4,Graflok back & shutter questions Reply with quote

Merry Christmas to all.
In the mid noughties I lucked into a very nice late production Super D 3x4 , joined this group and had Bert Saunders r.i.p. put a Graflok 4x5 back onto it, enjoyed using this and all benefits of a 4x5 Graflok e.g. Polaroid/Fujii available then, 4x5 film in all its variations, roll backs etc and of course old lenses. At the time I was living in NoCal so having Berts depth of knowledge so close was very helpful as was his follow-up with various maintanence /repair tips etc. later I also got a Series D 3x4 and used his info on CLA on this one.

Now I am 6000 miles away and have found 2 Super D’s with issues that I intend to fix.

Firstly I want to convert again to Graflok 4x5, Bert had sent me some info on this previously (now lost all this info.)and this co-incided with his health issues and my moving, primarily I recall he had been producing a conversion plate for the adaptation and had one ready for me before I moved. Now does anyone have these notes to hand (dimensions etc especially plate thickness 1mm 2mm 3mm?), I am sure I can cut a plate and adjust viewing glass accordingly if necessary.

So 1: looking for practical Graflok conversion info.
1A : there must be some other manufacturers backs (other “international” backs eg Horseman, Sinar, Plaubel etc..) that could similarly function and be used, so anyone used a Graflok clone?
1B:Adapter/conversion plate, need advice to cut a plate and position.

2: Shutter.
Both bodies seem to have been victims of previous repair hack jobs.

Camera 1: The shutter side straps have torn on both sides of the large slit aperture (O setting ?), seems bodged glue repairs have not helped the straps & horribly, looks like one of the smaller curtain slits has been sewn up shut, so no doubt this would have affected functionality and brought about further run and tension problems. I think this one will need a new shutter curtain assembly, though the curtain material itself does not look too bad. Bearing in mind half the FPS resides on the lower roller and half on the top roller, how to go about this? The whole lot has probably detensioned.

Furthermore one of these babies has had the FPS transposed. On camera 1 the larger aperture is attached to the bottom roller and on camera 2 vice-versa, so which is correct? I think I know the answer, just want to confirm

Camera 2 has had a knock on the wind key or a hammer job!! one key side is bent but works. The shutter runs slow I.e it does move but reluctant to do, weak spring possibly or gummed up.

Also what exactly are the dimensions for a 3x4 shutter with the 5 apertures. I have seen 2 different sizes given and assume these appear to be for the larger versions of the shutter, I would need the total run length and the length of apertures and solid sections along the length. I could use Jo lommens guide or I think there is guy in Russia that has advertised as making shutter curtains.

I do not have a decent guide to reassemble the finished FPS into the camera, I assume the curtain would need to be attached to its rollers prior?
ManyThanks
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. download and read https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1sPJkp-MdghRkRId1EwT0dpNkk/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-JlLEG0Yi_nEVpc73579Mpw
2. as far as I know there is no standard length for a shutter curtain as different models have a different body size. All 3x4 Super D likely have the same curtain length but I'm not sure a Series D will be the same as a Super D.
3. Aperture order is Open, 1 1/2, 3/4, 3/8, 1/8 for all models and formats.
https://graflex.org/RBGraflex/
4. repairs to torn curtain edges / aperture sides require the same width and length of material applied at the same position to keep the curtain running even.
The tension roller is on the bottom of the camera. Common curtain mounting is the curtain 5/8 to full circumference of the roller glued to the roller on the bottom, top roller may have multiple turns of the curtain with the curtain glued to the roller for the first then glued to itself so that the curtain closes fully at closed after open.

5. max thickness for an adapter is about 1/8 inch or 3 millimeters. Center the adapted to image opening over the existing image opening.
AJDphoto

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Charles I knew you would chime in with a pertinent reply
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: