Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

aero ektar lens board

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ktm_2000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: aero ektar lens board Reply with quote

Hi All,

After lusting after and bidding on 7" aero ektar lenses for quite some time I finally had the high bid on an auction on one and am trying to figure out what to get for the lens board.

I've looked on JoLo's web site and they state they are currently out of stock plus long lead times from the EU so I was looking elsewhere and saw a used JoLo 44 board on ebay. An in-stock part plus state-side shipping appeals to me but I do not know the difference between the current board and the 44 model board.

I have what I believe to be a pacemaker speed graphic SN 887238 with a graflok back

Would the Jolo 44 lens board work for me?
ktm_2000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I re-read the ad on ebay and the Jolo44 is for anniversary speed Graphics

there is another model from Italy but the surface is shiny aluminum and I am reluctant that it might reflect light

I hope Jolo can produce some more adapters soon
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The board's outer surface is irrelevant. If the inner surface is shiny, paint it flat black or cover it with Edmund's flocked paper.
ktm_2000

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens arrived and I am thrilled that it is clear with no scratches on any of the elements, the aperture blades are clean and operate fine even though they will stay open. There is one dust spot in between the elements which I may try to separate the front group from the back to see if it is on one of the inside faces, if it is any where else I won't mess with it.

in the auction ad, it showed something which looked like an aluminum tube and I was hoping that it was threaded the whole way and I could just have a chunk sawn off and welded to a graflex board
https://photos.app.goo.gl/imaCHEF4RWwJjJE56

it turns out that it was a cardboard tube with a chunk of aluminum in the back and a small threaded piece at the front which I would not trust with the weight of the lens.

I contacted Jolo and they have a batch of lens boards which just went out to be anodised and engraved expected to finish 1/26 so I am going to order one from them and wait on the delivery
ktm_2000

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jolo sent me an email this morning letting me know his latest batch of lens boards were available and I've put my order in.

I can't wait to take some shots with this!!!
ktm_2000

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens board came in and it did take a little persuasion to let the back of the lens through the front standard.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4WZayP1NQcEkeAzq6

I set the lens as far back as I could within the lens board and it is a bit front heavy and I've noticed that any down angle there is some lens creep from the weight. Is there a way to increase tension?

I Can't wait to be able to take some shots with this, just pointing the camera out my window I used the cellphone to take an image of the ground glass and focused on a shub then across the street from me.

There's not much you can't blur out of an image

close focus
https://photos.app.goo.gl/c6zG8w1gDyBDkGgC6

focused 40 yds away
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zwVtppUg44DCjTCRA
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a 4x5 camera, use the ficus lock. Its that lever by the right focus knob. The screw in the center of the lever pivot should increase the tension otherwise the rails have to be removed then the right rail guide and a new tension block made and installed.
ktm_2000

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that is what that lever is for, works great

I'm digging this lens, I haven't taken any shots on film yet but have been focusing on various items and taking pics of the ground glass to see what I like.
ktm_2000

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a test shot last weekend to see the resolving power of the lens

I was in Marion, MA and took a shot at Bird Island light house from an old WWII naval gun emplacement ring. Google chrome shows the distance is roughly 1/2 mile.

this is taken wide open f2.5 and I didn't have a cable release so I'm sure I added some shake. If you zoom in on the lighthouse you can see individual rails around the top of the lighthouse.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RD2cj7Jd4FtzY5Wr8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: