Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

got a dud lens - how to clean

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ktm_2000

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: got a dud lens - how to clean Reply with quote

Hi All,

I "won" an online auction and picked up a 127mm f4.7 Kodak Ektar lens sn EE2182 in a supermatic shutter for short $ as it was mixed in with junk camera related items. The lens/shutter appear to have had a hard life and was quite dirty so I took out the cells and cleaned inside and out with zeiss lens wipes and that did the trick for most of it. The front element I can see that I've cleaned the exposed front as well as the back surface but there is gunk between the elements.

I don't have much into the lens and from looking at better examples online it is probably not worth sinking $$ on a repair shop so I am looking to fix at home and get it "good enough" to take pics with.

On other lenses there have been slots for a spanner wrench to take it apart and there appear to be none on this lens. Are there suggestions for getting the front element apart?

On the shutter, it fires but drags on 1 /2 and 1 second, I'd like to take it apart and clean/oil. It looks different from other shutters in that the thread that holds the lens cell doesn't seem to hold the shutter together and that the front cover might only be held on by one screw. Any Suggestions to repair?

thanks in Advance
Matt
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I get $125 for a shutter CLA, Supermatics are moderately easy to service with the manual, and the lens is a Tessar, two air spaced elements in front of the aperture/shutter blades and a cemented pair rear.

To remove the front element unscrew the trim ring using equal pressure on the ring. It may have thread locker on it and Acetone around the threaded edge will dissolve it.

Download this Flash Supermatic Service manual to service the shutter. https://learncamerarepair.com/product.php?product=289&category=2&secondary=19
Supermatic - no flash sync
Flash Supermatic - M, F, X flash sync
Supermatic X - X flash sync only
All can easily be serviced with this manual.
ktm_2000

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your CLA while being probably hundreds of times better than I could do is 5x my purchase price of the lens and as I've mentioned this lens has had a hard life and is not worth putting good money into bad.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vLmUyAYgJCPgb3Bu6

looking straight in - can see the level of crud between the lens elements
https://photos.app.goo.gl/JJaAbzBzp8GZpQSH8

I found a video of a guy servicing a Kodak Medalist and I figured out how to get the front cover off and from there used a bit of lighter fluid on the slow speed gears then used a couple dabs of sewing machine oil. The shutter seems to run decent yet is probably quite a bit slow.

I don't have a rubber stopper which matches up with the trim ring so I will try your acetone trick and see if I can get it with fingertip pressure.

thank you for your advice[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: