Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Speed Graphic Odyssey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richardmilton

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: My Speed Graphic Odyssey Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

May I introduce myself? I'm a British writer and journalist and, after a lifetime of 35mm photography I've finally discovered the wonderful Speed Graphic.

I had the great good fortune recently to find on eBay an exceptionally nice Speed Graphic outfit which I've just started using. I was especially lucky to discover that my outfit had been owned from new by a photography professional, was in exceptional condition and contains all the original manuals, and other documents including the Graflex warranty with the original sales ticket stapled to it.

It tells me that the camera was bought in 1953, is number 882380, and the 135mm Optar is lens number 916818. I gather from reading here that dating Graflex lenses is difficult but this might provide a marker.

I'm also lucky in that the outfit contains half a dozen connecting cords in good condition so the flash system and solenoid are working perfectly.

I've taken some test negatives but have made the discovery that I guess everyone makes, that you have to have a negative scanner to scan them!

Kind regards
Richard
jerryg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Richard
there is a quick rough way to see your negatives, there are apps you can get, some free, for your phone. or, of course, get a scanner or get them scanned by your local shop.

come by the " graflex camera group" on face book and say hi
Richardmilton

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jerry - I've signed up on Facebook.
Richard
ktm_2000

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard,

I have been primarily shooting roll film in my 2x3 as well as 4x5 graflexes and "scanning" the film with my Sony mirrorless camera with a 90mm macro. Using my tripod to support my camera over a light table to illuminate the negative. I have been using the lomo digitalizer to hold the film straight.

The process works ok but I am not getting all the resolution out of the film. Here's a pic I scanned yesterday
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jVxoFp6VxeEJyRoU9

I've finally purchased the 4x5 film developer spool from Bounet photography and will start shooting 4x5 film and will need to cross the same bridge.

I think for starters I will put the film directly on the light table then look for a more elegant method. The one idea I have right now is to remove the dark slides and then take the center out of a 4x5 film holder and use that to keep the film flat.
Richardmilton

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for your message. I didn;t know about the Bounet device and I've just bought one too. Looks interesting.

I solved my scanner problem by keeping an eye on eBay. Within a week or so someone was offering a used Epson Perfection 4870 scanner with all the frames for every negative size up to A4 for£80 so I bought that. It's "old" technology but it works perfectly.

Regards
Richard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: