Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Focal Plane shutter will not go to D

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spurdin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject: Focal Plane shutter will not go to D Reply with quote

I am new to the speed graphic, just got it from an online auction. Turns out I can not wind the focal plane shutter to D under any tension. It will wind and the 'D' just appears in the window but the knob feels like it hits something and will not go that extra bit to click in the D setting.

Am I doing something wrong, or is there an adjustment I can make to allow me to wind just a bit further.

Any help, will be greatly appeciated, can't wait to start using it. (Looks like I could use the A-C settings as of now).

Thanks
Scott
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused, Graflex SLR's use the A,B, C, D, lettering on the curtain aperture window; Speed Graphics use the aperture width. So what do you have?
Do you look down through a hood to see the ground glass or is the ground glass at the rear of the body?

I have a Miniature Speed Graphic from 1941 that uses letters for the curtain apertures, perhaps that is what you have. Speed Graphics have the serial number embossed or ink stamped on the under side of the camera top. It is only visible by turning the camera upside down with the bed open and the front standard fully retracted into the body using a flashlight to see into the body.
Pacemaker Speed Graphics have the serial number stamped on a plate riveted to the bed between the yoke. Graflex SLR's have the serial number around the view opening, early models, or on the view hood door behind the view hood, later models.

Now to your question. Graflex Corp. Focal Plane Shutters work similar from introduction until end of production across all models with some differences between models.

1. with the tension on its highest setting wind the curtain to its smallest aperture then run down to closed after open 10 times.
2. after performing the procedure in step 1 set the curtain to O and tension to its lowest setting. Turn the camera to its handle side down and release the curtain. The curtain should close and the wind key should be against the stop. If the curtain snaps closed the initial tension is too high. If the curtain fails to close or the wind key is not against the stop the shutter needs servicing.

Please post your test results and serial number.
spurdin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The serial # is 254582.

I ran through what you said, on the lowest tension, it does not go all the way back to the stop without some help.
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

254582 is in the middle of an order for 750 4x5 Speed Graphic listed March 1940. This makes it a 4x5 Anniversary Speed Graphic.
The shutter needs a full CLA. The curtain material may have swollen making it thicker than it should be. Factory original is .007 inch thick, most models will not function if the curtain has swollen to .025 inch thick.
The other possibility is that the shutter has been apart and reassembled incorrectly.

https://www.cameramanuals.org/prof_pdf/c-3_graflex_camera.pdf
The C3 is the military version of the camera.
A special tool is stated to be required to unscrew the snail but a pair of needle nose pliers or lens spanner wrench with points can be used. Failure to hold the tension knob from turning while loosening the snail will result in the shaft being ruined.
There is a factory service manual http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/AnniversaryService1.pdf but the C3 is more complete.

Start by removing the camera back, set the curtain to O with the tension at 1. At the top of the image frame is a roller. Each curtain aperture opening has a .007 inch thick copper stay crimped onto the opening at each end of the opening. The O opening is larger than the image frame opening.

The metal edge of the O opening should be between the roller at the top of the frame opening and top center of the top curtain roller. If the curtain opening metal edge is at the top frame opening then the top roller is 1 gear tooth too low on the wind plate gear. If its low it can be raised and the initial tension increased a 1/2 turn to 2 turns to get the shutter operating correctly.

Focal plane shutters of this vintage rarely run the table speeds but speeds from 1/20 to 1/500 are commonly good.

I can service the camera for you if its more than you want to tackle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: