Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cable release issues on 135mm f/4.7 Optar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VTHokiEE

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Cable release issues on 135mm f/4.7 Optar Reply with quote

When using a cable release with my 135mm f4.7 optar the release frequently slides underneath the metal piece inside the shutter that triggers the shutter. Is there a relatively painless way to correct this (aside from buying a new optar and hoping the shutter is better)? Also the T mode doesn't appear to work, the shutter simply closes immediately. Hopefully if I'm going into the shutter I can take care of both issues at the same time.

Thanks for any help!

Edit - I cleaned the shutter out some and T mode is firing again, but this cable release is still giving me fits. I can't figure out how to keep the bar from popping up.
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/GraphexShutterService.pdf

Edit:
You can safely remove the face plate and speed ring then operate the shutter, it should run at 1 second. The Bulb and Time levers are sticking causing it to not operate correctly on T. The cable release lever is bent or your cable release is not compatible with this shutter.

When reassembling be sure all levers and pins are in their slots before putting the face plate on. Do Not Force Anything.

please confirm having read this post.
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plunger rod (tip) of your cable release may simply be too long, i.e., extends too far into the hole when pushed. Try pushing on the plunger thumb button until the shutter just opens, then release your thumb and see whether the shutter remains open. Press thumb button again to close shutter. If that's the problem, then there may be a way to shorten the tip, or, alternatively, a different cable release may work better for you with this shutter.

If the bulb (B) setting functions correctly, and your cable release has a locking setting, you can work around the problem that way to achieve the same result as using the T setting. I use this on my 135 Optar in Graflex shutter to get around an internal mechanical problem with the T setting.

Of course, you can always operate the shutter by using the cocking lever and shutter release directly instead of with the cable! HTH.

Last edited by Henry on Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
VTHokiEE

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my cable release may not be compatible with the shutter. Because it simply lifts the plate and slides underneath. Does anyone have any suggestions for a release? I'm contemplating filing a release flat instead of the slightly rounded tip which I believe would solve the problem.

I was able to fix the t setting, it had become stuck but seems fine now.
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I forgot that I had to file a flat on the tip of my cable release! If that works for you, problem solved!

My favorite cable release is a Minolta, which you may be able to acquire second-hand through the usual sources, since Minolta has quit the consumer photo biz (and I can't find a repair source for my Dimage Scan Dual IV slide scanner )
VTHokiEE

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry wrote:
Yes, I forgot that I had to file a flat on the tip of my cable release! If that works for you, problem solved!

This worked perfectly for me, had to take the cover off to fix the T mode (Thanks for the guide 45PSS!) and it helped me determine exactly what was causing the cable release to slip around. I tried it with a small flat head screw driver and it worked every time and once I filed the cable release tip this morning it appears to be working perfectly as well. Thanks to you both for the help!
SYNCHROJAMES

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject: Cable release fix Reply with quote

My shutter was doing the same thing on T & B-fired thru without setting. I had it repaired, and when it came back it still did it, just not as often. after a little gentle shutter tripping it was obvious the cable push pin was the culprit. Wasn't sure about cutting off the pin that much, so I cut a piece of brass tubing to length, split it, snapped it over the shaft below the push button, crimped it on and a drop of super glue kept it from moving. works like a charm.
James
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: