Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using 3D Printing for the cams for the top rangerfinder?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bitbybitphoto

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject: Using 3D Printing for the cams for the top rangerfinder? Reply with quote

Howdy Graphic users!

First, I should say I don't have a Crown Graphic yet but have found one with a top mounted rangefinder that looks to be in awesome condition I am thinking about picking up (it is slightly risky because it's being sold by a family member of the photographer that owned it so they can't validate things like shutter speeds, etc.).

Anyways it has a top mounted viewfinder, which, from reading, sounds like the better one in terms of actual use but has the whole problem of needing custom cams whenever swapping lenses.

I read up on the custom cam section here on this site and it got me to thinking - this sounds like a part that might be able to be 3D printed? I print various parts for darkroom enlargers and a few doo-dads for cameras (like a Yashica Mat hood) and it seems like something that could be easy to design once one figure's out the calibration for the lens(es) being used?

The original part is metal and while metal 3D printers exists, they are wildly expensive and relegated to folks like, you know, NASA So I wasn't sure how much pressure is being exerted on the cam itself to gauge wear. Some higher end platics could be used to combat that. Or once the design is finalized, places like oshpark.com can do laser cutting of metals since it looks to just be a flat piece.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but thought I'd bring it up as an option to allow some modern fabrication on what appears to be a bit of a fickle part to make for a specific lens?
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cam information is scattered around this site. The list of Pacemaker cams is https://graflex.org/speed-graphic/top-rangefinder-cams.html

Several years ago I figured out a system for making Super/Super Speed cams from scratch. https://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=4653
I used 3 cams of the same number that were a factory match to the lens I had. One body/lens/cam were factory original combination.

The Graphic rangefinder on Pacemakers is integrated into the body making it more difficult to do the cam measurements.
This is a service manual for the Graphic rangefinder
http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/TRFService.pdf
This is a service manual for the Top Rangefinder Pacemaker Crown and Speed
http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/servicemanual.pdf

Cams for Pacemakers and Super Graphics are not interchangeable. The factory cams are nickel plated brass .032 inch thick. I use .035 brass for cams I make for Super Graphics. I use a Dremel to cut the cams once laid out with a caliper and scribe.

A Crown being sold by the family of a late professional photographer should
be complete and a good example to work from for pressuring your interest.

I have not measured the pressure the follower arm places on the cam.
bitbybitphoto

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks that's very helpful information!
Rick from OZ

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may also find these scans of top rangefinder cams useful (courtesy Bert):
"http://members.optusnet.com.au/r1ckhill/GraphicCameraStuff/Bert's_Top_Rangefinder_cams_for_Graphic_Cameras.jpg"
jerryg

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

graham over at graflexparts.com makes new cams for pacemakers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: