Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quick Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wiux

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Quick Questions Reply with quote

Hello all, I'm sure this has been asked somewhere, but I couldn't find it in the search due to all the mentions of ground glass, but I was wondering:

Are all ground glasses in Graflex cameras some sort of standard thickness? I have a crack in the GG, and though it's not preventing me from shooting I'd like to replace it. I found a few replacement glasses on eBay, but don't want to throw the focus off.

I also have a Crown Graphic that gets less use than my Super Graphic & was thinking about just swapping the two if they're interchangeable.

Also, has anyone tried switching the Ektalite fresnel lens out for something brighter? It does a good job, & I have no complaints, but I'm just curious.

Finally, just to confirm, the right order is photographer, ground glass, fresnel, lens, right?
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ground side of the GG, on which the image is formed, faces the lens so the GG's thickness is irrelevant.

If your focusing panel has an Ektalite fresnel, the order of assembly as is as you said.
wiux

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response, it seems to make sense. The thing that confused me originally is that I saw an auction that mentioned OEM glass, specifically mentioning how it was 1.2mm thick rather than 2.2mm that was used in the same seller's other listings.

The prices on both are pretty similar, and not terribly expensive to begin with, but I'd like to get it right the first time is all.
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cameras I have dealt with, Graflex,Graphic, Sinar, Cambo use pressure springs to hold the ground glass in place. Putting a thicker glass in place of the factory thinner may put extra stress on the retainer springs when their mount screws are tightened properly while a thinner glass in place of the thicker one may result in a loose fitting glass or having to reform the retainer springs to get it to fit snugly.

The ribbed side of the fresnel always faces the ground glass regardless if it is used in front of the ground glass or behind the ground glass. If the fresnel is factory mounted in front of the ground glass the ground glass must be shimmed if the fresnel is removed and no longer used.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: