Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rear rails need attached

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kidseedreams

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:15 am    Post subject: rear rails need attached Reply with quote

I just purchased a speed graphic and the real rail is off track. What is the easiest and proper way to reattach the rails. Do I need to remove the bellows in order to properly get at the screws?
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off track, as in the rear yoke section is floating free and the front yoke will not move forward much?
The yoke guide(s)-case are easily broken when the bed is forced closed without the yoke being fully retracted into the case. Are the yoke guide(s)-case broken/chipped?

With the bed in the dropped position, front standard in the case free of the yoke, try to align the rear yoke section with the bed guides and move the yoke forward without too much force until both the bed and case sections of the yoke are on the bed then return the bed to 90° then run the yoke inward ensuring the rear section enters the groves in the case guides. Pull the front standard out and slide it onto the front of the yoke then into the case.

Broken case guides: if the front edge only is broken out then removal of the bellows and front standard is the easiest way to fix them. The case guides can be transposed from side to side if the rear edge is not broken also.
Early cameras used shims under the case guides to align them with the bed guides while later cameras used set screws in the guides to align them with the bed guides.

You do not state if yours is a side rangefinder or top rangefinder camera or which format. Download the appropriate service manual at
https://graflex.org/manuals/
kidseedreams

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Rear rails off track on speed graphic Reply with quote

45PSS . Thank you go the help.

I lifted the front standard and bellows out from the front and closely inspected the yoke and rear guide as best I could. Nothing appears broken, chipped, or missing, just out of place. I will work with your suggestion and post results soon. This is a 4x5 Speed Graphic with the Kalart rangefinder. Serial # 866695.
Serial # indicates it is a 1951 Pacemaker Speed 4x5. Lens is a Kodak Ektar 152mm. Front and rear shutter work fine as does all else. Cannot test the rangefinder with the rear rail off track.
Thanks again.
Patrick
kidseedreams

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Results were perfect. Reply with quote

Thanks for the instructions. Te results were perfect. I'm ready to go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: