Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graflex RB Series B with 22 Graphic Back

View previous topic :: View next topic  
deastman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Graflex RB Series B with 22 Graphic Back Reply with quote

Hello,

New Graflex user here. I inherited a few cameras from my father, the most interesting of which was this Graflex RB Series B. It has a “22” Graphic 120 roll holder back attached. I remember my dad telling me at one point that it was a modification he’d had done by a machinist. His memory seemed a little fuzzy on the subject and I wasn’t sure I believed him. Having now started to do a little research, and having inspected the roll holder closely, it does appear to have been modified to fit.

I’m totally new to this camera and can’t recall ever seeing my dad use it. I’ve read the instruction manual and I think I have a pretty good grip on how to operate it. The only problem now is that the shutter release lever doesn’t seem to be working. Lacking a service manual, I don’t think I want to start doing any disassembly on my own, so I’ll be taking it to the nearest repair shop for an estimate.

Also, the light shield card that you pull out before taking an exposure (I don’t know the correct name) has the edge broken off, so if it is fully inserted into the roll holder, it is flush with the case and can’t be gripped to pull it out. It looks like I can leave it not entirely inserted and have it still do its job, but it’s pretty precarious. I guess I’ll need to find or make a replacement for that eventually.

I’ll follow up with some pictures as soon as I can get them uploaded to my site.
deastman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look here https://1drv.ms/f/s!AggQfcczvHGN7QPLzcnfQqi0-7pf and here https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/rl/rlgraflexmisc.htm for user manuals.

The dark slide from a 2x3 Graflex film pack adapter will do for you. FPAs turn up on eBay from time to time.

Yes, I can see what the machinist did.
deastman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the manual links! Sadly no service manual, but I think I’ll leave that to someone who knows what they’re doing!

I was able to find a replacement 22 Graphic back on EBay fairly cheap with an intact card insert, so there’s that solved.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1sPJkp-MdghRkRId1EwT0dpNkk/view?usp=sharing

OR
ask Mike for a copy of the shutter repair manual
https://www.butkus.org/chinon/graflex/graflex_service_parts/graflex_service_parts.htm

Check that the I / T lever is in the I position for instantaneous exposurers
Use the T position for when the curtain is at the T or O positions.
deastman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Yeah, those parts are all working fine. It’s just the shutter release lever on the left side of the body, near the lens, which doesn’t seem to work.
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the mirror go up when you press the shutter release lever?
Does the curtain run down if you pull the M lever back?

Curtain wound to O to 1/8, tension on 1 to 6, shutter release releases mirror, as mirror shaft turns a pin on the I-T lever mounted on the H lever contacts the M lever lifting it releasing the curtain to run down 1 position with the I-T lever in the I position.

Possible causes for failure are the release lever plate improperly installed preventing the release of the mirror; pin on the I-T lever bent or missing; the base of the M lever severely worn preventing it from being lifted high enough to release the curtain; wind plate improperly installed or winding mechanism damaged.
deastman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I have the curtain open and look inside as I move the shutter release lever, the inner catch of that lever does not move at all. I can just barely see the spring wiggling as I manipulate the lever, but no other motion. The inner part looks a bit rusty, so perhaps it is frozen in place. Again, this seems like something I should leave to an experienced repair technician. I’m hoping to get it over to a local tech this week, but I also don’t know what it is likely to cost to get it fixed. From what I’ve seen, the going rate for a whole camera on eBay seems to be around $300, so I’ll have to decide how important it is to me to get this particular unit working again. It did belong to my dad, so I have a sentimental attachment and would really like to get it working again.
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best I remember the release lever is a solid shaft from lever to catch with a return spring. The mirror frame is cloth covered for blackout of the image box and may be stuck to the wood frame of the body.

With the curtain at O, I-T lever at T, hold the release lever down while pushing up on the bottom front edge of the mirror.
The mirror frame is aluminum so it will not bend easily especially if even pressure is put across the front lip/edge.

It will likely be after the first of the year before I'm back able to do repairs.
deastman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@45PSS:
As far as I could tell, the mirror is moving correctly, but I’ll double check, following your instructions above. Perhaps the shaft of the release lever is also rusted and frozen in place?

I just noticed your location, mid-peninsula, Ca. You’re on the SF Bay Area peninsula? That’s where I am too!
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pm sent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: