Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

newbie, what apertures are lenses designed to be using

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ktm2000

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: newbie, what apertures are lenses designed to be using Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm new to medium format film, I've got a 2x3 Century Graphic with 100mm Zeiss Tessar f3.5. In 35mm land there are lots of lens reviews where folks show the resolution at various apertures and typically 2-4 stops from wide open is the best combination of sharpness and visual appeal.

I and am wondering what apertures are best on the zeiss 100mm lens.

Coming from digital I've somewhat been a fast aperture junkie and tend to shoot wide open a lot. At f3.5 the zeiss lens lets a lot of light into the ground glass and it is fairly easy to focus but I've noticed the DOF is razor thin.

I plan on only shooting available light and have been using my digital camera as a light meter taking shots and then figuring out aperture/shutter combos that I can match on the graflex.

I'm wondering if I should be thinking about this differently and start with the aperture I want then work to figure out shutter speed?
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically they're designed to use any marked aperture or any point in between the markings depending on what you want.
As you've noticed the depth of field is shallower on the medium format than it is on 35mm. Its also shallower as you increase format. Once you reach f90 to f128 then you start getting unsharpness from defraction from the small lens opening but at f45 or larger openings this is not a problem.

As far as exposure is concerned light does not care what format or type of recording medium its being recorded on. The ISO of both film and electronic recording medium are the same standard so you don't have to learn a new system or do any conversion when switching between the two. The only thing that must be done is if the lens on the metering camera is not a prime lens then the light falloff of the lens must be accounted for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: