Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Front and rear elements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenrick

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:47 am    Post subject: Front and rear elements Reply with quote

I recently picked up a Graphic Supermatic with X-sync shutter as I wanted to be able to use an electronic flash with my Mini Speed Graphic (flash bulbs are expensive!). I didn't bother to read the listing as carefully as I might and it turns out to be just the shutter with no elements. The shutter works beautifully, so I'd love to get some glass in it.

My question, would it just be easier/cheaper to find lenses with busted shutters and use elements off of them? Is there source to purchase just the elements?

Thanks!
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best solution is to get a lens in shutter. People sometimes offer loose cells, particularly from lenses that were in Copal shutters, because the shutters can sell for more than the cells in shutters. Go figure. But that's no help for you because cells that fit a Copal won't fit any Supermatic.

Supermatics came in several sizes. If you persist in wanting to use y'r little whitish elephant -- your choice, and whatever you decide to do is fine with me -- make sure that the cells you buy will fit it.

Your best bet is probably to look for a lens that meets your needs in shutter and resell your perfectly fine Supermatic. Don't limit yourself to old tessar types from EKCo, Wollensak and even Zeiss as were original equipment on 2x3 Graphics. Look for a modern lens, e.g., 105/5.6 Fujinon-W in Seiko #0 or Copal #0. They're easy to find and not very expensive. There's no reason to use lenses the cameras were originally sold with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: