Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Busch Pressman Model C focus check

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Non-Graflex Cameras
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinotgraves

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Busch Pressman Model C focus check Reply with quote

I have acquired a Model C adapted to take a Graphic 23 back. So, normally I would use the ground glass back to check the placement of the infinity stops--except I don't have said gg/hood setup post-modification. So, now what? Also, the 23 has no dark slide--if I don't want to remove the back mid-roll, how likely are light leak issues?
It has the Raptar 101mm lens on its lens board.
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open the roll film holder and remove the insert as if loading a roll of film. Place a piece of ground glass in the film plane that sits against the top and bottom guide rails that the pressure plate sit on.
There are two guide rails top and bottom. You want to use the outer most as the inner ones closest to the film opening are .010 lower than the outer ones.
Alternative: run scotch magic transparent tape, the frosted stuff that goes clear when pressed, from the top to the bottom of the film opening. Do not overlap. Focus on it as you would a piece of ground glass.

Using the outer rails will require you add a spacer to the pressure plate of the roll film holder if you set infinity with a ground glass focus frame on the camera and that ground glass is set to the same distance as the emulsion of a piece of film in a film holder.
pinotgraves

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Busch Pressman Model C Focus Adjustment Reply with quote

I had a feeling that might be the method. I am going to take a guess that the cam is correct for the lens--and that once I confirm the position of the infinity stops, I can adjust the vernier on the rails as well. Did the blind squirrel (me) find the acorn?
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focusing cams for a factory marked focal length may be in error of 1 to 5mm focal length. An incorrect cam will be off at closer focused distances but be close enough at 25 feet to infinity to be usable on all but the fastest lens when used wide open.

Being the Pressman C is a 2x3 camera the darkslide from a 2x3 film pack holder might just work in the roll film holder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Non-Graflex Cameras All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: