Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

90mm Infinity Stops and Drop Bed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nanda

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first post. Help!!

I recently obtained a 90mm focussing scale and some extra infinity stops for my Crown Graphic, but I have encountered some problems...

In the past I have moved the rail forward then locked the front standard onto the rear part of the rail (so that it doesn't stradle the hinge) before dropping the bed when using my 90mm. Now that I have some more infinity stops for my 90mm, where do I put them? Do I put them onto the rear part (behind the hinge) section of the rail and keep "doing what I was doing" as far as set-up for the 90mm? If I do, I have no place to attach the focussing scale (my camera already has 135mm, 150mm and 210mm scales attached - the only position left is the rear left side). Should I be doing something different? Any suggestions?

Regards,
Jeff
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2005-05-02 21:05, Nanda wrote:
My first post. Help!!

I recently obtained a 90mm focussing scale and some extra infinity stops for my Crown Graphic, but I have encountered some problems...

In the past I have moved the rail forward then locked the front standard onto the rear part of the rail (so that it doesn't stradle the hinge) before dropping the bed when using my 90mm. Now that I have some more infinity stops for my 90mm, where do I put them? Do I put them onto the rear part (behind the hinge) section of the rail and keep "doing what I was doing" as far as set-up for the 90mm? If I do, I have no place to attach the focussing scale (my camera already has 135mm, 150mm and 210mm scales attached - the only position left is the rear left side). Should I be doing something different? Any suggestions?

Regards,
Jeff

There are two ways to mount infinity stops for a lens that makes infinity with the front standard on the inner bed rails.

The popular normal standard way is to mount just one stop on the left inner bed rail. A stop on the right inner bed rail will interfere with the RF linkage. If, that is, you have a Kalart RF. What's wrong with doing it this way is that with only a single stop there's a chance of setting up the camera with unintended swing.

The correct way, according to Fred Lustig, is to mount the stops on the outer bed rails and put a spacer between the stops and the front standard. This eliminates the risk of unintended swings.

Fred made a spacer that fits my 2x3 Pacemaker Speed and allows me to use the RF with a 100 mm lens that, like yours, makes infinity with the front standard on the inner bed rails. This spacer won't fit my Century's rails, so I've had SKGrimes make one for it. These spacers are very useful for squaring up the front standards when I'm using lenses for none of the stops are set correctly. Understand, I don't use the RF with these lenses, but I still have to make sure that I've set the camera up with no swing.

As for the focusing scale, can't you put it on the right side of the outer bed?

Good luck, have fun,

Dan
Nanda

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan.

What exactly does this spacer look like? I get the impression from your post that it is something that permanently mounts on the camera.

As to the question of mounting the scale on the right - the scale seems quite "left side specific" --> all the lines and indicators point to one side. Even assuming I could deal with that, there just isn't room - I already have a "right side specific" 150mm indicator in place behind the focus lock, and if I were to put the 90mm scale right behind it, the rail portion of the scale would have to stradle the hinge once the rail is moved forward to drop the bed. I am just out of luck?

Any one else out there running 4 focussing scales?
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2005-05-03 19:17, Nanda wrote:
Thanks Dan.

What exactly does this spacer look like? I get the impression from your post that it is something that permanently mounts on the camera.

As to the question of mounting the scale on the right - the scale seems quite "left side specific" --> all the lines and indicators point to one side. Even assuming I could deal with that, there just isn't room - I already have a "right side specific" 150mm indicator in place behind the focus lock, and if I were to put the 90mm scale right behind it, the rail portion of the scale would have to stradle the hinge once the rail is moved forward to drop the bed. I am just out of luck?

Any one else out there running 4 focussing scales?

The spacer is a piece of metal with an upside down "top hat" cross section. Narrow section fits between the rails, wider section sits on them. Non-permanent, pops in when needed. Is needed only when positioning the front standard.

The distance scales can go anywhere on the rails. Why do you want to put them adjacent to the lens?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: