Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

top rf adjustment?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perrycas

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going through my brand new used Crown top RF to see how it all works and found that when i checked the focus on the gg it was not the same as the rangefinder. Now I have checked that the cam is appropriate and it is - and wasnt that fun. The directions on the site said first look at it - so of course i hadnt in fact hadnt read the instructions. Ok, so is the rf in any way adjustable and could i please be directed to instructions if they exist? I notice that the vertical is a bit out as well.
Ta
Perry
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top RF's require a "special Cam" for calibrating "Infinity". The instructions are in the Top RF Pacemaker Service Instructions @ http://www.southbristolviews.com/
graflex manuals, Adobe reader required.

After you download the service and user manuals then check the camera to see what adjustement is off. DO NOT recalibrate the RF for out of adjustment infinity stops!

1).Mount camera on a sturdy tripod.
2).Open camera and lock bed at 900.
3).Turn focus knob until yoke (rails) are fully retracted into the body then foward until they move 1/8 inch out and lock.
4).Position front standard against infinity stops.
5).Check focus on ground glass of an object at least 1/2 mile away. (Use a loupe)
6).Check focus of the RF.
7).If RF is not in focus on step 5 item then unlock yoke and adjust focus knob until Rf is in sharp focus; note difference from step 3 to sharp focused RF.(this will be your infinity starting point)
8 ).Loosen infinity stops and move foward on the yoke.
9).Reposition front standard so that ground glass image is tack sharp with standard locked and square to yoke.
10).Move infinity stops to contact front standard at new focus point and tighten their set screws.
11). Go make some sharp images!

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2005-05-07 23:10 ]
troublemaker

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One can not be sure they have the cam that matches the lens that came with the camera.. You will have to follow the above instructions and set the RF at infinity. Note the comment on having the rails 1/8th from the back, and this should coincide with infinity on the fornt left mounted scale, if not, just go by the scale. Regardless of whether the lens is in focus at this point is of less concern starting out, but the RF should line up on far far away subjects when the focussing rails are set at or very close to this primary starting point, or yes, some other adjustment is necesarry. IF the RF lines up at or very very close to the marks on the scale, (or if no scale is present, with the rails no more than 1/16-1/8" form the rear most position). Then check that the RF moves in concert with the rails when turning the adjustment knobs etc... If it appears to work, you can then bring the front standard and lens into fine focus on the GG while the RF and scale are line up on infinity. You should then be able to determine if the lens you have works with the cam. Focus on close, intermediate and far images, and refer back to GG to see if lens is actually focussing when RF splits line up. Doing this Hand held can be done for a quick check, but if OK then put on camera support and fine tune. If RF and GG images do not work in concert, recheck infinity setting and re-check. If Images do not line up after all this, the cam may not be matched to the lens you have.
After all that, you can set the vertical allignment with a small screw located behind the right RF glass inside the cover. This is easily done with the cover off andf looking throught the glass normally. The screw will eventually require a very small dab of a removeable locktight or similar adhesive.
I hope this helps further you along.
Stephen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: